Help needed urgently!

Flak999 19:26 31 Mar 11

Hi all, a plea for help here please. I have just got off the phone from my father-in-law who has been on the phone for two hours to an Indian gentleman who phoned him out of the blue saying his computer was running slow!

Now I know this is a scam, but my 80 year old father-in-law didn't and he has given this person full access to his computer and has bought some "Helpful" software for £74 pounds which will make his computer run like new.

What should his next action be, I have told him to inform his credit card company immediately and to shut down his PC and router.

What should his next actions be, how can he get his machine clean from whatever malware that has been downloaded to it?

Thanks!

VoG II 19:33 31 Mar 11

System Restore to before the call.

northumbria61 19:37 31 Mar 11

This the 2nd post today about the "Indian" gentleman but no money was parted with as far as I know click here see post 1t 1521hrs by logrin.

I am sorry to hear your elderly father has been "duped" into parting with his money. The chances are nothing has been downloaded onto his PC - I would download and install/run MALWAREBYTES from here click here - it is a well known and trusted site.

Terry Brown 19:44 31 Mar 11

Be careful with malwarebytes as their a program called antimalware that is actually a trogan.

Terry

bremner 19:44 31 Mar 11

I had a similar call a few weeks ago from a friend of my wife.

When I examined the computer I identified a number of programs that had been downloaded and installed on to the computer including a remote access application.

Personally for peace of mind, I would advise backing up the valuable unreplaceable data and then doing a full factory restore. This is the only way to be sure everything and anything that has been installed has gone.

ventanas 22:29 31 Mar 11

I had one of these cretins ring me a few weeks ago. I let him go through his pathetic speech and then introduced to a number of new words he may not have heard before.
I wonder if he does know who his parents are.

Condom 23:20 31 Mar 11

I had the same so I let him get on with it while I went to make a cup of tea returning occasionally to murmur nice sounds down the phone to keep him interested then just when he thought he had me I coughed loudly and hung up. Strange but he didn't phone back again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017