Help Needed Urgently

The Teacher 21:10 15 Oct 05

Norton SystemWorks flashed up that I had a virus the other day, and gave details on how to remove it, which I followed.

However, I am not sure that it has gone even though a virus scan shows all clear.

The problem is that when on the internet, every now and then a command prompt type box appears, with a message saying that it cannot run and to close it which I do.

It is showing as being ugn3h.exe, which is the file Norton spouted as being the file the virus was in. In ZoneAlarm Pro this file does not have any access priveliges at all so cannot access the net anyway.

The file is located as follows C:\WINDOWS\System32\ugn3h.exe

and I am unsure whether or not I can safely delete this file. There is also a listing that says AUTOEXEC.NT which I think maybe where the file is also, but I cannot find that folder anywhere on my system.

Has anyone come across this before, and can anyone tell me how to deal with it?

The Teacher

MAJ 21:16 15 Oct 05

ugn3h.exe is a randomly named file, The Teacher, move it to some other folder to see if you still get the popup box. If there are no adverse effects after a while, you can delete it.

AUTOEXEC.NT is a Windows file and should be in the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder. What problem are you having with AUTOEXEC.NT?

MAJ 21:18 15 Oct 05

By saying "move it to some other folder" I mean, create a new folder on your desktop (for example) and move it in there. Also check in msconfig, to make sure that it isn't trying to run at startup.

The Teacher 22:11 15 Oct 05

Norton flashed up the AUTOEXEC.NT at the same time it flashed up the virus, I just assume it is a possible location for the virus.

The Teacher

VoG II 23:10 15 Oct 05

You can replace autoexec.nt if you click here and scroll down to XP_FIX.EXE.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…