Help needed to sort out update problem please!!

julius44 05:59 09 Jul 10

Hello and good morning, i have a slight problem please. I have a windows XP desktop running Windows SP3.
I keep getting the message that i need to install a particular update from windows, but it refuses to install, and i'm wondering do i need it anyway??? Here it is....Microsoft.Net framework 1.1 SP1 Security update for windows 2000 and windows XP(KB979906).

I have been told to install this update for about 5 weeks now,...is there anyway to swith it off?? I think it relates to service pack 1(SP1).....but i'm on SP3,.....so i just dont want this to show anymore......BUT i dont wanna miss any very important updates plese.
Any suggestions pls??

birdface 07:05 09 Jul 10

If it shows when running a manual update you either click on it or double click it and a box opens underneath just tick the little box not to show the update again.
That should do it.
After the 15th of this month I believe there will be no more updates for it or SP2.
My advice to anyone that can upgrade to W/7 would be to do it.
Must have spent at least 4 hours yesterday updating an XP computer after a reformat.
The outcome was that a computer with practically nothing on it took over 45 minutes to do a short scan using MSE.
Probably less than 10 minutes using W/7.
I can see why Microsoft are stopping support for XP.

northumbria61 11:50 09 Jul 10

buteman - "My advice to anyone that can upgrade to W/7 would be to do it"

I would certainly go along with that. Installed Win 7 64bit the day it was released back in Oct.2009
Everything just works so much better.

provider 2 12:17 09 Jul 10

The thing is ... not to confuse XP Service Packs with the .net framework SPs. They are different things.

Consequently, .net framework 1.1 Sp1 should be on your computer even though you are running XP Sp3.
All the .net framework components are needed and you can`t assume the first ones have been included in or superseded by the later ones ... hence the need to keep (security) patching the earlier ones.

Here`s some advice on how to get this blasted patch to install ... it`s not quick or pretty and there is no one definite answer click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…