help needed to solve a boot issue

skell 13:33 20 Jan 07

Hi im been asked if i can shine any light on a boot issue a friend has so thought id post his comment here for some advise..

POST gets through the memory test but when it comes to seeing the drives it's unable to see the SATA2 drive that is my internal and system drive and boot stops at the sata raid install page.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:48 20 Jan 07

Is this a newly fitted drive?

does the board support SATA2?

Sata Drive not recognised by BIOS
SATA 2 (SATA 300) is not backwards compatible with a SATA (SATA 150) controller. In order to use a SATA 2 drive on a SATA (SATA 1?) controller, the hard drive must have a jumper position to restrict it to using SATA (SATA 150), and a jumper must be installed. Some drives have the jumper position available (e.g. some recent Samsung), some don't (e.g. some recent Maxtor).
This information can also probably be easily found on your hard drive manufacturer's web site.
If your drive does not have the jumper position available, you must return it and get a SATA 2 one that does, or a SATA drive.

skell 19:48 20 Jan 07

its not a newly fitted drive and its pc hes been using for some time now.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:52 20 Jan 07

check cables to drive have not come loose.

skell 22:25 20 Jan 07

we've checked the cables and double checked but still no joy so my guess is its a dead drive. would you agree? thx for the replys btw.

howard64 10:03 21 Jan 07

it could be a dead power supply lead - can you put the drive in another pc?

skell 19:38 21 Jan 07

have no other pc to try it in.... also, i failed to mention that the drive isnt being detected in the bios. he hasnt touched anything inside his machine so my guess is the jumpers are correct and that the bios is just failing to recognise the drive for some other reason. however, we have another drive to test come wednesday so will see how that goes then...thx.

woodchip 19:41 21 Jan 07

Try reloading Sata Drivers and Raid

skell 19:31 25 Jan 07

drive was duff... fitted new drive and all is well now. thanks for eveyone for taking the time to reply. thanks again. skell

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…