help needed setting up Pc/laptop network please

ripvan 17:03 03 Dec 06

help getting laptop and pc to connect together.

I am having trouble getting a home network setup.Pc is ethernet wired to linskey broadband router.New Acer laptop is into same router wirelessly,both running XP.Both work fine on internet etc.I just can't get them to talk each other for printer sharing etc.I have run the network wizards on each.However when I ask laptop to set up a connection it only shows the ethernet as being the option it wants to use to connect to a network.How do I get it to use the wireless connection.any help gratefully accepted.

mgmcc 21:34 03 Dec 06

<<< However when I ask laptop to set up a connection it only shows the ethernet as being the option it wants to use to connect to a network. >>>

That sounds as though you are trying to set up "Internet Connection Sharing". As the Wireless adapter is your internet connection, the only other available adapter to connect to a network is ethernet. However, you *SHOULD NOT* be setting up Internet Connection Sharing.

Forget wizards. Make sure both computers are in the same Workgroup, set at least one folder as "shared" in each computer by right clicking and selecting the Sharing & Security option and ensure any firewall software is configured to allow access to the networked computers. You should then see the shared folders in the remote PC when you go into My Network Places.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…