Help needed setting up a D-Link DSL-2740 router

andy625 11:49 23 Nov 10

Apologies for posting this again, however I need help urgently:

I spent yesterday evening changing our router from a Netgear unit to a D-Link DSL-2740R. I followed the quick installation instruction routine that came on the installation cd, and managed to get our laptop online using a cabled connection.

My problems started when I tried to connect my netbook to the wireless network. Initially I tried to set it to WPA2, however I couldn't get my Blackberry to connect to the wireless network with that setting. Next I tried setting the security to WEP. I set up a network name, and set the security to WEP 128 bit. I used the same password/hex key as we had on our old router (with a different network name). I managed to add the Blackberry (manually- the PIN authentication timed out), I also managed to get my netbook to connect to the internet, but the network symbol in the taskbar was saying that it couldn't validate the wireless network. The Blackberry appears to be fine.

I also tried disconnecting the cable from our laptop, and trying to get that to connect wirelessly. However this came up with the same validation message, and wouldn't connect to the internet at all.

Can anyone give me any clues as to what the problem might be

Chris_Byers 14:27 23 Nov 10

This always seems to be a problem when you introduce a new wireless router in the home. A couple of questions forst.

1. Did you give it the same SSID as your old access point?

2. Are you using\tryign to use the same wireless security as your old Netgear router?

If so then I suggest you remove the wireless connection in Windows and re-detect, and set it up again, and if you can do the same with the Blackberry. I also would NOT use WEP, it's simplly too insecure these days.

Chris_Byers 14:29 23 Nov 10

This always seems to be a problem when you introduce a new wireless router in the home. A couple of questions forst.

1. Did you give it the same SSID as your old access point?

2. Are you using\tryign to use the same wireless security as your old Netgear router?

If so then I suggest you remove the wireless connection in Windows and re-detect, and set it up again, and if you can do the same with the Blackberry. I also would NOT use WEP, it's simply too insecure these days.

andy625 14:33 23 Nov 10

I gave it a different SSID but used the same password. I tried using WPA2, but it appears that my Blackberry 9700 and my old ipaq pda don't support WPA2, so I reverted back to WEP.

I set up the wireless connections deleted them, and set them up again last night. The netbook says that it can't validate the wireless network, but still connects to the internet. The blackberry works ok, and the laptop wont connect at all on wireless.

Woolwell 15:19 23 Nov 10

The Blackberry should support WPA2 but the ipaq probably doesn't.
I think that your problem lies with using different SSID/same password.

Does the laptop find the new SSID and what is its OS?

andy625 15:30 23 Nov 10

When I add a wifi network to the Blackberry, I only get the option of adding: WEP, PSK, PEAP, LEAP, EAP-TLS, EAP-FAST, EAP-TTLS, EAP-SIM and EAP-AKA. Are any of them the same as WPA2?

I only used the same WEP password, as I already had a conversion for it into HEX. I will try a different one tonight and see if it makes a difference.

I also thought I might try adding thenetwork with no security, just to see if it can validate it then.

Woolwell 15:58 23 Nov 10

Someone else will need to help but I think that PSK is possibly WPA PSK

andy625 16:50 23 Nov 10

Ah ok. I thought it was strange that it wouldn't support WPA as its a new model phone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…