help needed re fitting new fan

ROYWIDD 20:34 02 Jul 04

Can anyone please explain very simply how i can fit a new processor fan?Also,which fan is needed for an athlon xp2000?The present one is just over 2 years old,and isn't working well,the processor is going over 50 deg quite quickly,with all the associated probs,programs freezing etc.Many thanks....roywidd

jonnytub 20:38 02 Jul 04

xp2000 should run fine at 50-60, maybe prob lies elsewhere?

jonnytub 20:40 02 Jul 04
  ROYWIDD 20:47 02 Jul 04

hi jonnytub,thanks for info,the problem is that programs just lock up after a while,needing a reset,bcos the cursor freezes too,i'll try a new fan,but any other ideas please?Could it be a trojan etc?Is a fan easy to fit?I've got basic knowledge...roywidd

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:08 02 Jul 04
  accordion 21:11 02 Jul 04

Fitting a fan is easy, most clip into place, some may have a screw fixing. If you remove the fan, take it along to your local PC shop as a pattern to ensure you get the right replacent.

I have two PC's one with an AMD Athlon processor and both of them run at over 55 degrees. During the recent hot weather I increased the cut off levels to 65 for warning and 70 for shut down.
No problems, and no more shutting down.

jonnytub 21:12 02 Jul 04

yeah fan quite easy to fit, instructions usually pretty easy to follow, i do think that the problems lie in the software environment though, have you got the usual installed, spybot, adaware, antivirus ?
also try a regcleaner

jonnytub 21:14 02 Jul 04

also have you added any new hardware/software lately, been on any naughty sites ?

ROYWIDD 11:16 03 Jul 04

Thanks for all your suggestions,i'll investigate further on the software problem,yes jonnytub,all the usual installed,avg,adaware,where can i find a reg cleaner please?Also,nothing new installed recently,how do you mean"naughty" lol.Dont think avg will find trojans,i'll look though.

jonnytub 03:07 04 Jul 04

registry cleaner click here also call in to the rav online virus scan site (google), i found these to be very reliable when big names such as ********* have let me down. let me know how you get on.

carver 08:55 04 Jul 04

This site will give you an idea of the sort of fan you might need click here but an xp2000 should happily run at the temps you have. Have you by any chance done any overclocking? it's just a thought. Also what graphic card have you got because any probs with that can give similar results.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…