Help needed re CD-RW and Windows XP Home

adamdavid 15:39 01 Jan 04

Does anyone else have this problem? When I insert a CD-RW disc in my drive and try to use Windows XP to write to it, sometimes the computer doesn't recognise the CD. If I restart Windows, it recognises and writes fine. If I then insert a different CD-RW disc, Windows sees the CD-RW as the same disc that has been removed and won't write files to this new disc. I have to restart Windows, and it works fine.

Also, if I have been using any programs prior to trying to write a CD-RW, e.g. Winzip, Word, Excel, etc, then the CD-RW isn't recognized as being a writeable disc and I have to restart Windows to be able to write a CD-RW.

It's a little irritating having to restart Windows every time I want to write to CD.

Any help how to solve this would be appreciated. Is it a hardware or software "problem", or is it just the way life is??

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop, CD-RW/DVD-ROM combi drive, Pentium 4 2.4GHz, 256MB Ram, Windows XP Home.

Peanut001 15:44 01 Jan 04

Sounds like a software problem to me.
What writing software are u using?

adamdavid 17:27 01 Jan 04

I think it's Roxio. It's whatever is built in/included with Windows XP Home.

ianeon 17:37 01 Jan 04

I have XP Pro - Samsung combi drives and easyCDcreator - I have similar problems - My computer is in for repair

adamdavid 17:03 03 Jan 04

My drive is a Samsung combi drive as well. I'm fairly sure it's a software problem, but was wondering if it was a Windows software problem?

Bapou 17:16 03 Jan 04

XP's writing software is just a cut down version of Roxio.It's very basic and quite often does not work.

Personally I would use the writng software you should have installed with the CDRW, Nero, Roxio, whatever.

adamdavid 17:21 03 Jan 04

My CD-RW came with the computer, so I only have the CD software that came with Windows. I guess that means I'll have to buy software to solve the "problem". Not sure it's a big enough "problem" to warrant spending any money to solve it.

Bapou 19:45 03 Jan 04

I'm prepared to be corrected but surprised additional software for the CDRW was not pre-installed or provided. May be worth checking with the manufacturer.

Either way, having to buy would be well worth the outlay in the long run. I use Nero 5.5 (updated)although Nero 6.0 is now available.Nero is an excellent program and relatively easy to use. click here is the place to start although it's available at most computer stores.

One feature alone will allow you to use a 'multisession. This means you can copy files at intervals to the same CD. Windows does not provide this opportunity. A saving in itself.

TommyRed 21:48 03 Jan 04

I couldn't get on with XP burning software and got latest version of Nero 6 for about £6.00 incl delivery from click here it's about a third of the way down the page. It does everything I want multi-sessions, CD covers etc and for £6 it's the best and cheapest thing I think I've ever bought for my PC. You could also try click here HTH TR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…