Help needed to price web design job

mother inferior 13:00 06 Nov 03

I recently started a small web design business mainly designing simple, affordable sites for individuals and small businesses. I have no experience of e-commerce sites other than using PayPal and a customer has asked me to design an online shop using PayPal.

My question is, what on earth do I charge for it? His shop has 2000+ books and he wants them all online. I have estimated that this will take 500 hours at least (designing pages, inserting images and descriptions, making PayPal buttons etc) and I normally charge ?10 per hour for this type of work, therefore it would cost ?5000. This seems very expensive but it wouldn't be worth my while to charge less than this.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not this is a fair price? Has anyone done a similar site and if so, what did you charge? I'm very green in this area and would be grateful for any advice.

harristweed 20:02 06 Nov 03

To set up 2,000 + items on pay pal is a mind blowing task.

Why not program your own cart, and just have pay pal process the final amount (see pay pal manual)

Does your client already have the details of the books on computer? If so a text dump into mysql is easy. Dynamic pages in PHP, simple cart and check out.

Two days work max. 1,000 pounds. I wish I could find clients like that!

mother inferior 07:30 07 Nov 03

Thanks harristweed.

That's a great idea. He does have the books in a database. The thing is, I've never used a cart, or a database, before and I'm a bit daunted by the task. If I used an open source cart such as Agora would this be straightforward to learn? Can you recommend any tutorials?

Don't worry, I - and my customers - are aware of my limits and I won't take the job on if I can't handle it :)

harristweed 09:30 07 Nov 03

Do it yourself - it will be a learning curve, but you will then be able to take on much better paid work!

Get your self set up:

Php coder
click here

Get Apache
PHP4
mysql
on your machine for testing/practice - easy to do - all free - plenty of tutorials on the web

a good place to start is
click here

Then Shopping carts
click here

mother inferior 11:31 07 Nov 03

Thankyou so much :)

This is all a great help. I'll do that.

Thanks again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…