Help needed for a nice Welsh Person

STUART-237113 08:18 12 Nov 04

Hi,
Last night I did a System Restore on my computer for Microsoft XP
Everything was going ok but towards the latter stage of the installation I had a power cut.
When I regained power to my computer it started to
boot up as far as the opening XP screen then up comes a message " System not fully installed "
It stops on that and when you exit the message it reboots and goes though the same process again.
I had no XP discs with the machine as it was factory installed.
Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Sethhaniel 08:22 12 Nov 04

and select last good configuration (or something like that) ;)

Diodorus Siculus 08:24 12 Nov 04

Without some disks you may be in trouble... do you have even a floppy with which to boot and access a hidden partition on your hdd?

Andsome 08:24 12 Nov 04

First of all I would contact the machine builder and point out that you are entitled to a disc.

recap 09:06 12 Nov 04

I agree with Andsome, you are entiltled to a disc!

Gaz 25 09:27 12 Nov 04

the manufacturer should have given you recovery software, or a windows XP disc. If they gave you none, then that isn't good - get on to who ever built/manufactured the PC and tell them you want a disc or some type of recovery system.

Diodorus Siculus 09:34 12 Nov 04

You may have to pay for the disk - if you got the machine from Time, it will cost £30 or so.

Many put the OS on a hidden partition and give details of how to get to it.

rickf 10:10 12 Nov 04

Follow Sethaniel's advise first. If it does't work, then try recovery disc if you have one.

STUART-237113 13:21 14 Nov 04

Thanks to all who helped me out on this on.
I actually pressed F10 when the Blue Hp screen came on and went back into the System Retore Procces.
And it worked.
Cheers all.
Stu.

spuds 14:53 14 Nov 04

Reference to the supply of a recovery disk. My neighbour as just purchased a new computer system from HP, and this system was supplied minus any disks, for recovery or the pre installed XP Home. It would now seems as though the standard practice is to download from the h/d and burn to your own cd's.Apparently 5 cd's are required for a full download and recovery safeguard. Not a very nice afterthought for a new buyer.

Andsome 08:21 16 Nov 04

I was supplied with a full system disc on ONE C.D. I have since used it to format and do a clean reinstall of XP. Where does the idea of five disc's originate? I would not even consider a computer without a full system disc. Mine was built by a small local shop, and there was NEVER any doubt about the supply of a CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…