//some 3rd party need geo

HELP NEEDED WITH NETWORK!!!!!

dan boy 16:11 25 Feb 04

HI ALL

Posted a couple of days ago but the information i was told didn't work......so here i am again.

Right, i am trying to network 2 pc's using a router and cat5e patch cable. (getting another pc soon - thats why using router, not x-over). On pc1 i have tiscali bb 3x and a printer. I want pc2 to share both of these things. The modem is a Sagem USB ADSL modem supplied by Tiscali. It has too ports on the back, 1 USB and 1 RJ-11 (phone line).

The router is an Origo 8400 series, (ethernet/USB ADSL modem router). Could somebody please tell me how to set them up correctly........

At the moment i have it set up as follows:

Router - power lead to socket in wall, cat5e to pc1, cat5e to pc2, USB to USB in back of modem, RJ-11 to filter at phone socket. (is this right, the modem lights don't come on....I get a message saying that a LAN connection is going at 100mbs but i cant get on to the internet, nor can i share files, printer or the internet connection that doesn't work.

I must be doing something wrong but i dont know what......could anybody help.......

THNX DANNY

bremner 16:31 25 Feb 04

Danny

I have looked at your router click here and it is a modem router from what I can read.

You therefore do not need the Sagem modem at all!

You should connect the phone line to the routers RJ11 coonection and then connect to the PC's from there.

sPaNieL*WilL^KiLl 17:02 25 Feb 04

oops........if that's right im gonna feel abit silly.......gonna try now!!

thnx alot mate if it works

Danny

sPaNieL*WilL^KiLl 17:57 25 Feb 04

tried that no success.....damn

i cannot access the internet as it will not connect.

I have routerconnected like this - power lead to socket in wall, RJ45 to pc1, RJ45 to pc2 and then RJ11 to phone.

I cannot access the internet now without changing back to the sagem modem with no networking (just on my pc) any ideas?

LeadingMNMs 18:09 25 Feb 04

First thing is to check that the network itself is running and that the two computers can share files and see each other.

Next thing, does the modem have power lights and establish an ADSL line (i.e do both lights light up and stay a steady colour ?). If this is fine then it suggests that the router has not be correctly configured.

sPaNieL*WilL^KiLl 18:50 25 Feb 04

the two pcs cant see each other and i cant share files. The lights are on at green all the time, that is LAN 2, LAN 2, power and WAN link. This should all be right......isn't it?

LeadingMNMs 19:00 25 Feb 04

Before you start connect the old modem as before and connect to the Internet. Open a command prompt and type in "ipconfig /all" and use this to find the 2 DNS server IP addresses that you use.

The first thing to do is to disable any firewalls that you may have. It took me ages to realise that these were the problem when I set up my network. Then run the network setup wizard on both machines giving each machine its own unique name.

Go in to the network properties of your connection on each machine and go into the properties of the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" on the general page. Select use the following IP address and type in an IP address (one like the routers, those default IP address should be in the manual, but not the same). You should also be able to type in the Subnet Mask as the router settings should show what it uses. The default gateway is the routers IP address. Then put in the 2 DNS addresses that you found. DO THIS FOR BOTH COMPUTERS ensuring that the IP addresses for the router and the 2 computers are all different, with everything else the same.

sPaNieL*WilL^KiLl 20:35 25 Feb 04

right ill try that

thanks

Leslie-212488 15:31 27 Feb 04

If yo connect both pc to the router you do not have a network. a router is used to connect two different network to the internet.
with the components you have you need a x-over cable to establish the network then take a usb output from a pc to the router, if the router is an ADSL/BB router connect to the filter.if not go to the modem the out to the filter.
question, where are you getting the power for the modem.

bp_me 15:45 27 Feb 04

Um, as far as I know windows cant share a usb internet connection, so you could just buy an internal adsl modem, and share your connection with the other pcs using a network hub. I think this would be the simplest way to share an internet connection and printers between multiple pcs.

Stowit 17:06 27 Feb 04

I've got a wireless link with my Origo router & struggled to get it working. Router should have 'line' connected to modem socket on filter (then to phone socket), & Pcs plugged into the router. You should be able to find the router set up by entering the Ip address (10.0.0.2 on mine)in explorer address bar. On Wan page you can then enter username Password if required, for internet. Save & reboot router. If you can access the internet, then you can try to sort out the network. I don't know if Origo are typical, but set up was a pain.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…