help needed with motherboard

Infamous 12:50 14 Sep 03

Dear people i have a problem with my sisters pc i built. It has been workin fine for the past 4 months. Till last night were by i took out the cd writer and put it in to another machine. Then later on i tried to boot and it would not recognise the HDD. Just a cd rom. I have checked all the jumper settings etc. Then now the system will not boot no beeps. The fan for the mobo does not spin either for the chipset. Nor the graphics card fan. The cpu fan does spin on but that is connected via the PSU. I have tried another graphics card. Moved the memory in diffrent dim slots. Im waiting on a friend to come home so i can test the memory, graphics, and cpu on his pc too make sure that aint the cause. And also on the the motherboard when it tries too boot all there lights on the mobo light up. I tried lookin in the manual nothing about that. Tested the PSu on another machine works fine. Anybody else got any ideas?

Amd 1700+
kr7a-Raid
256 RAM pc2100
60 gig HDD IBM
xp proffesional
geforce 4 mxx 440

thanks

-pops- 13:08 14 Sep 03

Do didn't do any adjustments with it powered up did you?

By powered up I mean even the situation with just the mains connected but the rest of the machine switched off.

Infamous 13:15 14 Sep 03

Nope the machine was dis connected from the mains. all i did was take out a cd writer. Then i booted it up and it worked fine. Then later on that night i tried booting and it wouldnt see the HDD? Then wouldnt boot completly? Im just waiting so i can test the cpu, and hdd on another machine. as the mechine im using is a pentium 3. Only thing i can think of is that the motherboard has died.

Rayuk 13:51 14 Sep 03

Have you checked all cables are fully in you may have caught it when changing over.

Try putting hard drive cable on 2nd controller

Infamous 13:53 14 Sep 03

cheers for the help. i tried diffrent cables. basicly i have stripped the machine down to cpu, graphics, memory, the mobo lights will come on all three of them on the board. but the fan for the heat sink, or grahics card wont come on. seems to be a motherboard fault.

Infamous 13:54 14 Sep 03

sorry mean fan for the chip set not heat sink

choffe 14:16 14 Sep 03

did you enter your bios and change the boot up settings, sometimes that can screw things up abit?

Infamous 14:20 14 Sep 03

nah i didnt touch nothing in the bios, just why would the fans for the ship set stop workin? and also for the graphics card? surely this would lead to a motherboard problem?

choffe 14:37 14 Sep 03

does sound a bit sus,but maby the bios could allow you to acess the power which is assigned to the devices, and with a bit of luck, you may be able to put it right from there, acess bios by re starting pc and hold down the delete button, hope it helps..oh, and tell the bios not to look for the removed device on boot up.
hope it helps..

Infamous 14:41 14 Sep 03

sorry if i left this out, but it dosent boot. the lights for the motherboard come on. But nothing comes on the screen noo beeps nothing. No chip set fan comes on. And the graphics card fan does not come on

choffe 14:49 14 Sep 03

sorry buddy, but atleast motherboards aint too expencive to replace, msi do a good one at around 40 quid which you can order from overclockers.co.uk worth a look.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…