Help Needed - Installing a new DVD Writer

Dinkiz 18:21 15 Nov 03

Hi All,

For some time now I've been using the NEC 1300a DVD Writer with no real problems. I've now brought a new writer .. the Pioneer 106 (OEM Version). Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get this up and running. I've plugged it in but nothing happens ie discs not found etc. Do I need to uninstall anything from the NEC one I had before, do I need any drivers etc

Any help would be really appreciated.
Dinkiz :o)

bremner 18:23 15 Nov 03

If you are using XP you should not need to install anything as XP has the drivers. I'm unsure if the same applies to old Windows O/S's

critic-al 18:27 15 Nov 03

Are you getting any recognition of the new dvd in your bios/boot up,? is it set as a secondary master or a slave to your hard drive,In your bios is it set to auto detect?make sure tne power connection is in properly,

Dinkiz 18:29 15 Nov 03

Hiya critic-al,

When I booted up, Windows XP found the new device. When I put a disc in of any kind however, nothing happened :o(

Any ideas?

critic-al 18:34 15 Nov 03

have a look here it may help you further.
click here

Dinkiz 18:37 15 Nov 03

Nice story, but that doesn't seem to help I'm afraid.

Dinkiz :o(

critic-al 18:38 15 Nov 03

If running Xp make sure to Install SP1,it has some fixes for dvd applications.Make sure Imapi burning is disabled too.Your Dvd writer should be set as master whenever possible.Make sure DMA is enabled,use a 40 pin cable,and make sure jumpers are set correctly(master/slave).
AND Sorry the link i posted above was the wrong one i meant this one.....
click here

Dinkiz 18:46 15 Nov 03

Hiya critic-al,

Thanks for the posting. I'll take a look a bit more deeply and see how I get on.

Thanks again,
Dinkiz :o)

Dinkiz 19:42 02 May 04

Thanks for your posting above. I'm still getting this error message so wanted to ask you a couple of things.

1) How do I ensure DMA is enabled

2) And how do I ensure jumpers are set correctly

SEASHANTY 20:42 02 May 04

If you have an OEM copy of burning software e.g. Nero or Roxio which came with your old NEC drive then you will probably find that this will not work
with your new Pioneer drive. The OEM burner software
progs are normally tied to the drives that they came with originally. You will have to purchase an upgrade for the new drive or purchase a retail copy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…