Help needed with how to build a web site

minicity843 19:14 18 Nov 04

Hi peeps as i say above i need help with building a website is there any free stuff around to help me like templates etc. to get me started, as i plan to have an online shop on my site and dont want to spend loads of money to get someone to do it for me and i will have the satisfaction of building a site myself.

any help would be great.

Thanks

steve

steve263000 11:32 19 Nov 04

If you go to click here there are many ready to use templates on there. It is a site that has hundreds of different tools to help you build up your site. I use them a lot, on my page click here It is a homepage style web, but they are there for professional help as well.

User-312386 02:08 24 Nov 04

a lot of people started with this click here i did, but wanted more

then got hooked.......LOL

anchor 16:00 24 Nov 04

I agree with fourm member; this site is not here to promote personal commercial sites.

There are quite a number of professional web designers who generously contribute their time to this forum to help others. This is done without any thought of self promotion.

Taran 17:01 24 Nov 04

all you have to do is use one of the excellent and free Open Source programs and anyone can have one (provided their web host supports PHP and MySQL).

The superb osCommerce, just to use it as an example, is an entire website in a box, but it is aimed at those people who want to sell online and so it contains loads of modules for shopping carts, lists of good for sale, cusomter accounts and whatnot.

You can fnd out about osCommerce at the osCommerce website click here

It helps to know a bit about HTML, PHP and MySQL, but as long as you follow the instructions on how to set it up, osCommerce is pretty foolproof. It also has a thriving support community where users exchange ideas and new features. There are other alternatives, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better solution as a full package.

I should point out that you will also need some method of payment processing, which can be anything from PayPal click here through to Nochex click here but the whole idea of osCommerce is to have a complete package which is the entire website, including catalogue of goods for sale.

I'd stay well clear of templates and anyone offering them. There is nothing in a template that you can't do yourself with a little practice.

Templates tend to come in two formats. The first is quite cheap and anyone can buy them and use them. It is not uncommon to see dozens of people all using the same template for their site, sometimes even hundreds. The second option is where you spend more for exclusive use of a template, which protects you (in theory) from others having the same template for their site. Neither option is satisfactory and, as I've already said, they offer you nothing you can't do yourself.

A nice and free WYSIWYG web editor is called nVu and is available from this link click here

It allows you to design your site in a visual environment, without having to fight your way through loads of code. It also has abuilt in FTP client, which, in plain English, allows you to upload the web pages you create with nVu from the same program.

There is no shortage of good image editors and, unless you ask, I shan't bother listing any of them since it is quite likely you already have one or more at your disposal. Most computer magazine cover disks feature image editors regularly.

If you are short of software and want web hosting and a domain name as well, 1&1 offer web hosting, domain name registration and loads of free software for image and web editing.

The excellent WebMonkey click here and W3Schools click here sites cover all kinds of everything to do with web design and programming, and they take you from zero knowledge up.

Ask in here for specific issues and you will get help on demand and to spare.

Web design can be enjoyable to the point of addiction. You have been warned...

T

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…