Help needed with Hard Disk

Les T 12:09 26 Nov 06

When i right click on My Documents and choose Properties it says the the size is 31.6GB, however when i manually count up the file sizes i only get about 5GB. Does anyone know why this difference occurs?

Thanks in advance.

Strawballs 12:14 26 Nov 06

Do you mean 31.6GB used if so are you cvounting all of the hidden system drives,system restore,temp files,temp internet files, updates of various things AV definitions need I go on, try doing a disc clean up and running something like C Cleaner
click here

Les T 12:33 26 Nov 06

Thanks for your response, i already have CCleaner, and have run it. It is 31.6GB used.

Les T 20:34 26 Nov 06

bump

Jake_027 20:39 26 Nov 06

type into explorers address bar (without the quotes) 'C:\\Documents and Settings\User name\Local Settings' And check the files in there are empty

Jake

ed-0 21:29 26 Nov 06

Open my documents.

Click on tools > folder options > view and place a dot in " show hidden files and folders "

Right click each item in my docs, to see which is holding all the data.

Do you download video files?

Les T 15:32 27 Nov 06

Thanks for your help, i have done what you said, but i still manually come up with a total just short of 5GB. However, right clicking on the My Documents folder, still shows the 31.6GB.

ed-0 15:36 27 Nov 06

Download this free program, tree size click here

Open it up and see which folder is holding that much data.

Do you download video?

Les T 15:40 27 Nov 06

Sorry about that i do download video. I will download tree size and report back.
Thanks again.

Les T 16:02 27 Nov 06

Thank you very much, that's me sorted. Treesize found the files that were taking up all that space, turns out it was video files that i burnt to DVD, and thought i had deleted them, however they were still present in Nero Vision Express.

Much appreciated, thanks.

ed-0 18:08 27 Nov 06

thats good;-)

I thought it maybe videos, with file sizes as large as that.

that should give you bit more free space.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now