help needed to get rid of pop ups for newbie

redsusan 19:32 05 Oct 05

I have recently purchased a new PC (xp pro}and am being driven mad by adverts popping up whilst surfing the net,i have EZanti virus and sygate personal firewall,last night in desperation i searched this site(wonderful by the way) and installed spybot and yikes it scanned my PC and found loads of critical infections so i ticked all and deleted them, that's when the trouble started i could not get connected to the net, phoned BT who advised me to unistall spybot which i have done,so what do i do next please?OH by the way just installed AD Aware personal se and i now have 240 odd infected items do i have to pay to get them removed.

stalion 19:43 05 Oct 05

is your pc running ok now and your net connection?
Adaware, you can delete the items found by adaware if you are not sure how to do it post back

redsusan 19:44 05 Oct 05

I forgot to say i had to do a system restore to get things back to normal.
Thank's Susan

redsusan 19:48 05 Oct 05

Hi Stalion ,thank you for the quick responce, yes i got back online, As for adaware i can delete the problems , but each time a do a scan it finds new critical things , how do i stop them getting on my pc in the first place
Susan

stalion 19:49 05 Oct 05

pop ups.go to start, control panel,security which is the sheild you come to, select internet options,privacy and tick block pop ups

stalion 19:53 05 Oct 05

two programs for you to install,spywareblaster which stops spyware getting on your pc in the first place and mailwasher which enables you to check your email on the server before downloading
they are both very good and free
click here
click here

redsusan 19:54 05 Oct 05

Have done that and the bar is on medium and block pop ups is already ticked

stalion 20:06 05 Oct 05

choice of pop up blockers take your pick
click here

redsusan 20:19 05 Oct 05

Are those program compatibly with what I've already got? I'm really nervous after what happened last night!!!

VoG II 20:23 05 Oct 05

Yes they are compatible.

stalion 21:57 05 Oct 05

don't worry we do not recommend anything on here that would cause you problems
Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…