Help needed for a friend with drivers

CurlyWhirly 15:03 23 Oct 04

I have a friend who has installed Service Pack 2 and it didn't work properly as he had a BSOD at every reboot so I managed to go into safe mode and uninstall SP2 (as he is a novice) and now everything is okay apart from the fact that he can't find his motherboard installation CD!

I have advised him to join this forum as it is essential IMHO.
I have installed Everest Home Edition and it says that he has a ECS M825VXX motherboard with a VIA VT8375 ProSavageDDR KM266 chipset.
I think he has onboard sound and graphics and if so where can I go to get the following 2 downloads that show up in Device Manager?

Under 'Other Devices' there are 2 exclamatiuon marks one under 'MultiMedia audio controller' and the other under 'Video Controller (VGA compatible).
He has the 'VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller' for sound according to Everest Home Edition.
I have found some of the drivers but I am unsure which ones to actually download and I realise that if I was to download the WRONG ones the PC may not boot I think?
As this is NOT my PC I don't want to mess it up!
Any advice anyone please?

dan 11 15:27 23 Oct 04

They may be a problem with this board and everest CurlyWhirly.click here

Try these drivers, they should work click here(2.0)&MenuID=43&LanID=8

Put the drivers on a folder on the desktop. Then update the drivers from device manager. If they are not correct then windows will tell you so and not install them.

Diodorus Siculus 15:27 23 Oct 04

Have you been to the site of themanufacturer of the motherboard? They should have all the downloads available.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:30 23 Oct 04

Cannot find any Via chipset 8375 on VIA website or ECS (ELITE)site sure this is correct number for chipset?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:34 23 Oct 04

Via Drivers site click here

ECS site click here bottom of page for sound video etc. drivers

CurlyWhirly 17:11 23 Oct 04

Sorry for the delay in answering folks but I have been having trouble with my friends PC!
The 'Video Controller (VGA compatible)' problem is solved by me installing a spare GeForce 2 MX graphics card but I still have NO sound!
This is indeed strange as I downloaded the AC97 modem drivers from the ECS website as shown by Fruit Bat.
By the way he is running XP Home Edition.

Under 'Sounds & Audio Devices' under the Volume there is the wording 'No Audio device'.
Any ideas anyone as to what exactly is going on?
Another strange thing is that I thought XP used the NTFS?
When I run a Disk Check XP says that the file system is FAT32 - is this right?
I have Partition Magic 8.0 and does anyone know if it's possible to change the hard drive file system WITHOUT destroying the data?
By the way it is a 40 Gb drive.
Please help me someone!

It's Me 17:32 23 Oct 04

I thought that XP could work OK with either FAT32 or NTFS, it being that NTFS was M/s recommended file system.

Changing a FAT32 to NTFS is usually free of risk, just make a back up to be sure.

Blacki 17:35 23 Oct 04

driverguide.com

Rayuk 18:14 23 Oct 04

Is the onboard sound enabled in the bios

dan 11 18:32 23 Oct 04

In the bios, under integrated peripherals, is there a heading for 'via on chip pci device'. If there is press enter and look for AC97 audio, set this to auto. F10 to save settings and exit.

CurlyWhirly 19:55 23 Oct 04

Thanks your advice worked regarding 'integrated peripherals' in the AC97 audio BIOS settings.
Thanks to all concerned.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…