Help needed fixing windows after registry editing.

Cramb 11:40 25 Feb 05

Recently I have been infected with some nasty spyware from lop. Was stuck with some desktop icons that wouldn't budge. I couldn't remove it with any free software such as adaware. In the end I found some help online and was successful in getting rid of it. This process involved removing things from the registry. However, since I did this I've had some problems, as I think I've removed a key or two that I shouldn't have. I also removed Internet Explorer keys from the registry in order to reinstall it thinking that it would overwrite components of the malicious software. I have since found out that removing internt explorer from XP is never a good idea. With hindsight, I think I might have removed an important key for Management Centre thinking it was part of the lop keys as I was following instructions from a website. When I try to run Disk Defragmenter or Computer Management, and Error comes up saying "requires Internet Explorer 5.5 or later to run MMC". I have ie 6 installed even though it's not my default browser. Been using Firefox for ages and never had this problem before. Also I've got a problem with IE itself, in that when I go to the windows update site all I can get is a blank page. Also when trying to download things through the windows download centre, it won't let me get past the "genuine windows verification thing" telling me my settings won't allow genuine ActiveX controls, in EITHER browser, EVEN though I've added all the relevant sites to my "trusted sites" list and turned the security levels down to minimum.

So since i can't really get any updates or downloads from Windows, there doesn't appear to be an easy way to fix my Management Centre problem, which currently means I can't defrag my disks, nor can I do any "computer management" such as adding or removing hard disks.

Can anyone help!???

Jackcoms 11:55 25 Feb 05

You don't say which OS you're using, but have you tried System Restore?

Jackcoms 11:57 25 Feb 05

Oops, yes you do - XP!

So you have System Restore available.

curlylad 12:02 25 Feb 05

Try this start , run , type sfc /scannow , (notice gap in between sfc and /scannow) click OK see if this helps.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:05 25 Feb 05

REpair XP and IE
click here
Type
sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.

This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

ActiveX

Tools internet options advanced scroll down to security tick the box allow active content to run in files on My Computer.

Cramb 12:19 25 Feb 05

Thanks, I'll have a good look into those options when I get home from work. As for System Restore, well I disabled it when following some other instructions for getting rid of the lop software - I think the reasoning behind it was that the lop software would protect itself in system restore points. I could have been horribly mistaken, but alas, that's what I did, and at least the spyware appears to be gone for goood.

Jackcoms 14:02 25 Feb 05

Yes, you were horribly mistaken.

Yes, it is possible for malware to 'hide' between restore points and, yes, it is a good idea to disable System Restore in order to flush out that malware.

But having got rid of the malware you should have re-enabled System Restore.

feb 16:22 25 Feb 05

Jackcoms, am I missing something here, if system restore is disabled, all restore points are removed! So when you re-enable system restore, after removing spyware, you have no restore points to go back to!!

Jackcoms 17:00 25 Feb 05

Which is precisely my point.

By disabling System Restore and losing the restore points any 'nasties' caught in memory between restore points can be removed.

By disabling System Restore it frees up the memory in between restore points and, thus, the nasties are removed - permanently.

Yes, you lose all your restore points but you also permanently get rid of the nasties if you scan with a decent anti-malware program (or programs).

What would you prefer to lose - a few restore points or all of your nasties?

Cramb 19:47 25 Feb 05

Snag is, disabling System Restore alone didn't do the trick. It was only after I went rummaging around in the registry that I actually got rid of the nasties in question, and it was the exact same process that caused the problems I have now. Reactivating System Restore afterwards isn't going to magically create a restore point from a time after I deactivated it.

woodchip 19:52 25 Feb 05

You are correct, but it's no good doing a restore if you are going to put the Virus back. It's the same with a Image file or backup to any other disc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…