Help needed on fitting internal modem

computernerdiamnot 00:27 11 Jun 04

My mate has just installed a pci modem card (intel v.92 56k pci hardware modem) he managed to fit alright and install the driver after win98 detected new hardware. On trying to install bt yahoo from a disk and trying manually through microsoft the computer displays the modem then goes to choose what connection then when trying to establish a connection the computer crashes.

Can anyone give any insight of why this would be happening and some soloutions i could try later.

I will not be able to give much info on his system apart from it is a dell running wins 98 i think it has 16mb of ram not to sure. It only has the modem card fitted and all the other pci slots are empty.

Thanks in advance.

D

Dan the Confused 00:44 11 Jun 04

If this happened to me I would uninstall the modem driver, reboot and reinstall it again as I don't think RAM is the issue.

computernerdiamnot 00:50 11 Jun 04

Thanks for the reply i will try that later on.
As it is late and he has uni in the morning i will have to wait till early eve fri to try.

Cheers

Dan the Confused 00:53 11 Jun 04

Also, make sure the connection you want is a 56k dial-up one.

nyleridedog 01:30 11 Jun 04

try plugging the modem into a differnt isa slot,
then install it, see if it happens again!
cheers

computernerdiamnot 11:35 11 Jun 04

We have made sure it is 56k dial up

and have tried 3 different slots i am going to try to uninstall the driver later on will keep posted.

Might be easier to throw it out of top window. :o))

woodchip 12:04 11 Jun 04

It could be a IRQ conflict, Try right click on My Computer\Properties\Device Manager double click modem to see if any conflict’s

Gongoozler 13:30 11 Jun 04

Intel modems do not have a good reputation. Your friend might do better to take it out and fit something more reliable.

Dan the Confused 13:42 11 Jun 04

That's worrying, it's the same one I use!

Gongoozler 13:54 11 Jun 04

Hi Dan the Confused. As an example, have a look at the 5th review down on this Ebuyer page. click here. It may just be with Windows 98 that the Intel modem has the problem. The reviews from people using XP seem to be much more favourable.

norman47 14:01 11 Jun 04

Modems can be funny things, if your mate had a previous modem this could confuse things. Have you queried the modem?

Start from scratch.

Enter device manager and delete all modems listed. Also look for an entry for a simple pci communications controller and delete that.

In control panel - modems how many are listed and what comm port are they associated with? Remove ( delete the lot ).

Inset the pci modem in the lowest possible pci slot. e.g.away from the cpu near the base of the unit.

Reboot with the modem software disk in the cdrom.

If windows does not find the modem before the desktop has loaded, then you have problems. It should find the modem and you then point it to the right driver software.

Things should be easy after this. Load the ISP disk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…