help needed eternal hard drive wont work

2voddysandapint 17:38 12 Aug 03

i have just bought a 80gb hard drive and a smart family vp9054v enclosure. my system Win xp pro doent pick it up i have tried setting the jumpers to both slave and master the drive isnt recognised on eithier any suggestions,

Bodi 18:49 12 Aug 03

recognised by your BIOS? - am presuming it is IDE and not, as mine is, a SCSI drive.

Is it on a separate cable to your internal HDD?

Bodi

Megatyte 18:51 12 Aug 03

Have you done an Fdisk and format?

AH

2voddysandapint 19:05 12 Aug 03

its an external suppossed to be plug and play
when running wizzatd i c=get code 10
although system recognises it by the waty its an ide drive

2voddysandapint 19:07 12 Aug 03

gone into bios not recognised there

Bodi 21:01 12 Aug 03

Thought this was a removable drive in a caddy in your case. That's what mine is, although attached to a SCSI Host Adapter.

When plugged in and switched on, have you tried auto detecting in the BIOS? - Presumably, as Megatyte suggested, you have prepared your drive with Fdisk?

Meanwhile will rack this absent brain and put you to the top again.

Bodi

2voddysandapint 21:14 12 Aug 03

havent fdisc drive tried auto detect in bios what is fdisc??and format??

Bodi 21:18 12 Aug 03

you have?

click here

The hard disk will have to be prepared properly, however, I think you would have to do this via your Win XP CD, because, I believe, but may be wrong, Fdisk is essentially a DOS based program.

There must be someone on here who can give better advice than I can. Anyone?

Bodi

2voddysandapint 21:23 12 Aug 03

bodi ...thats the one i bought the bloke in the shop said it was plug and play

Bodi 22:22 12 Aug 03

Now I know nothing at all about your device, but maybe between us we can get it working.

How does it connect to your computer? There is something about a 36 pin cable in the advert, where does this connect to?

Did you get some kind of manual with the enclosure - I'm presuming that you bought the drive separately, or was this a complete unit?

Bodi

2voddysandapint 22:28 12 Aug 03

connects to computer via usb cable which has 36pin connector at one end. no manual. have e mailed tec. support in tiwan. hdd bought at same time but separately 80 gb wastern digital
when i go into device manager and run wizzards get error ; cannot start device error10.
have attempeted to auto detect in bios guy in shop said jumpers on new drive Must be set to master which i have done i have also tried other settings

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…