Help needed with a download speed problem

wobblymike 08:20 18 Feb 07

I have been having download speed problems for some 6 months now my set up is
ISP _ Plusnet up to 8MB max dsl
Modem BT Voyager 205 connected by ethernet cable.

My normal download speeds vary between 1.2 and 2 MB/sec. I thought that was ok even though my package is 8MB and my exchange rated at 4.5MB. I had lots of dealings with plusnet last year and they basically told me that my speeds were ok and to shut up (politely but thats what it meant). Last week my immediate neighbour switched from dial up to Orange broadband up to 8MB max dsl. I helped her install her system she has a D Link 604T wireless modem connected by ethernet. Our PCs are virtually identical (I built hers for her). Immediately she starts getting download speeds of 5MB/sec consistently and on some ocassions over 6MB. I borrowed her modem and connected it up to my system to get my normal 1MB. I have faulted my system again to Plusnet who tell me there is no fault. Any thoughts welcome as to what I can do next.

STREETWORK 19:55 18 Feb 07

You could,

1. Very carefully clean out and check wires in the phone socket.

Then.

2. Ask BT to check your line for any faults...

Ashrich 22:32 18 Feb 07

When you do a speed test what rating do you get in kb/sec download , click here and on the top right click on Broadband Speed Test , the reason I ask this is that a 1mb/sec connection should download at 120kb/sec , 2mb/s at 240 etc. 6mb/sec download speed is like a rocket ....

Ashley

Dipso 00:19 22 Feb 07

Try the BT Broadband Performance Tester. click here preferably at an unsociable hour. Post the results back. It's possible that your connection is (incorrectly) capped but it could be an ISP capacity problem.

BigMoFoT 12:44 22 Feb 07

Your download speeds are suggestive of a 2MB package. The BT speedtester will tell you the best connection for your line which your ISP should put you on..

When you establish your connection what is the speed you connect at?

n4165si 13:41 22 Feb 07

wobblymike

i would like to know ,what exchange you are on to get those sort of download speeds from Orange. i am with Freeserve /Wanado/Orange ,when i had the 2mbps service ,i averaged downloads of 1.58 mbps. since they have upgraded me to the up to 8mbps service,i average 1.58mbps to 2.96mbps, their excuse is they have problem with LLU on the exchange and their engineers are working on it. the times i have heard that.At the moment i am hard wired,but will be wireless soon.

esbe 14:47 22 Feb 07

May be of help to you -

click here

Discussion Forums > Community Support, & 2 threads 'what has happened to Broadband Plus at peak times'

It appears that Plusnet are deliberately slowing down speeds for various reasons.
A lot of very unhappy customers!

cheers.

wobblymike 21:22 22 Feb 07

Thank you all for your guidance - esbe it looks like you have it - time I voted with my feet.

esbe 23:21 22 Feb 07

Yep, I'm fed up with Plusnet's speeds at the moment, sometimes it's as low as 128 kbps ( some customers are only getting 80kbps) that's hardly BB is it - especially as I'm paying for up to an 8gb service, and my BT exchange less than half a mile away says my line should deliver up to 6.5gb.
I'll give them 1 more month, as they reckon in March there might be an improvement.

more info
click here

cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…