Help needed for computer halfwit

mundo303 15:54 04 Jan 05

I would appreciate some advice as my computer seems to be riddled with virus and the like.

Its really slow to load anything and has warnings that "virtual memory is low".

I've asked the IT bods at work and they recommended Ad-Adaware, Spybot and Hijack This. Every time I run the first two they seem to turn up loads of nasty stuff but this doesn't solve the problem.

For some reason Hijack This refuses to work- it scans the computer and then doesn't let me access its findings.

Any help would be greatfully received.

rawprawn 16:07 04 Jan 05

When you run Adaware & Spybot, do you delete all the "nasty stuff" eah time ? If you are running Windows XP, turn system restore off before running these programs. "Nasty Stuff can hide in there and be reborn. Don't forget to turn it back on.
To turn it off Open System Restore and click on Settings, then tick the box "Turn off system restore"

Maverick81 16:07 04 Jan 05

It sounds like you have a bit of spyware on your system and that is causing you to run low on virtual memory, to give you room to breath it might be an idea to increase the size of your page file (which gives you more virtual memory)

What operating system are you using ? if I know this I will be able to mail you instructions on increasing the page file size.

Cheers, Mav

MIKE 16:14 04 Jan 05

Hi mundo303 if you have virus's on your machine you should try AVG which is a virus removal programme this is programme is a free download. The other two programmes are not virus checkers. I would certainly recomend running adaware (Advertising popups) and spybot (Spyware) and remove any rogue files they show up.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 16:16 04 Jan 05

Link for AVG click here

Gongoozler 16:30 04 Jan 05

Also download and run CCleaner click here. This will delete all those temporary files that accumulate over a period of time and can slow the system down as well as contain nasties.

mundo303 16:55 04 Jan 05

Thanks for the responses everyone, its quality that in this day and age people are willing to help out random strangers. I'll give all the advice a go when I get home tonight.

Its Windows XP by the way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…