Help needed - advice re new graphics card!!!

sammy447 22:55 28 Oct 04

I bought my pc in 2000, the specs are Windows ME, Thunderbird (time computers equivalent Pentium 3), 1202 mhz, 256mb. I need a new graphics card to be able to play Sims 2 game and dont know where to start. The minimum configuration required is Windows ME, 800mhz, 256mb ram, etc which I have, but I then requir a Transform & Lighting (T & L) capable video card with at least 32mb of video ram (nvidia geforce2 or greater, NVIDIA quadro series or ATI Radeon 7200 or greater) which all means nothing to me. If I have a better processor (2.0ghz) I wouldnt need the transform and lighting part, but I do as I only have 1202mhz.
Every graphics card i have looked at doensnt mention T & L, can anyone advise me on this and does most new graphics cards have this as standard and how much roughly should I look at spending. Thanks

JonnyTub 23:10 28 Oct 04

The minimum specification your PC requires to run The Sims is as follows:

Minimum Specification:

Windows 95 or 98 (Windows NT, 2000, and XP are NOT supported)
233 MHz or faster Intel Pentium processor
32MB RAM
2MB Video Card, DirectX 7 Certified
Sound card - DirectX 7 Certified
300 MB free hard disk space (additional space required for DirectX 7 installation and Windows swap file)

Recommended Specificaton:

Intel Pentium II 350MHz processor
64MB RAM
8X CD-ROM drive

a geforce fx 5200 will suffice and is dirt cheap

JonnyTub 23:15 28 Oct 04

sorry that spec is for the sim original gane: the fx 5200 is still a valid card though.

sammy447 13:38 29 Oct 04

Thanks, I assume that will have the T & L on it then, do you know if any of them should actually say it on the specs for these graphic cards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…