help needed with 98 install

Ikelos 11:34 08 May 06

hi, tried to install win98 onto a win95 pc a couple of weeks ago, spent over a day on it, can not get past the " c:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd
missing/unable to load....... asked on here and got load of replies but still it all ended the same, so today, thinking it might be the HDD, i have installed another one and started again, and still the same. had a look across the net, and most say it is to do with a scanner driver and to start in safe mode and delete the line, but when in safe mode the line is not there..has any bright spark got any other ideas........thank you.

Totally-braindead 11:44 08 May 06

It would be helpful if you posted a link to the other thread so we can see what has already been tried.
I cannot see how it could be a scanner driver as according to what you say you've never even got that far. Do you actually have a scanner and if so is it plugged in?

Diodorus Siculus 11:48 08 May 06

The solution below worked for one person - changing the boot order in the bios. Won't take long and worth a try I suppose...

[quote]Originally Posted by WhitPhil

Change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD drive is after the disk drive.

I removed CD and boot is proceeding. I don't want to own up to how much pain this has cost me. How many times I have reinstalled. How much tinkering I have done to try to get around it. Thanks WhitPhil![/quote]

Ikelos 11:51 08 May 06

hi, here is the link....

click here

I will go and try the 2nd post be back soon..thanks

Ikelos 12:02 08 May 06

hi again, can not get into setup, if i try and start normally it gets to the start from CD or HDD, if i click cd it then wants to reload the OS if i click HDD the error message comes up, i can start it in safe mode..

Totally-braindead 12:06 08 May 06

I assumed you'd closed the other thread and that was why you'd started a new one but this is not the case. You now have 2 open threads on the same subject forcing people who want to help to jump between them making it much more differcult. You should have just stuck to the original thread and posted there.

Heres my tuppence worth for what its worth.
Start from scratch. Disconnect any peripherals, printer scanner etc. Start from the Windows 98 boot disk in the floppy and choose the option "without cd rom Support".
When its loaded type FORMAT C: then press enter. Once the hard drive has formatted restart the computer and boot from the floppy again but this time choose "with cd rom support".
Once loaded type cd\e. When it changes to the E prompt put your Windows 98 disk in and type cd\win98 then type setup. And windows should load, once done presumming it works this time load your motherboard driver disk then everything else.

Totally-braindead 12:09 08 May 06

I'm not sure what you mean. Windows 98 will not load from the CD if that is whats going on. You need to load the CD driver from the Windows 98 floppy disk. The install windows as I posted above.
You're better formatting and starting from scratch I think.

Ikelos 12:14 08 May 06

ok, i will close the other thread, i will print out the above and start again...thanks

i will be back.....

Totally-braindead 12:20 08 May 06

Hopefully this will work, heres Microsofts webpage click here

Ikelos 14:27 08 May 06

Well,that has to be the best "how to do it" i have seen, followed it word for word and we are up and running.....thank you all for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…