Help needed

gill2 21:59 28 Jun 08

Hi All, I just installed a version of Nero on my computer and was asked to reboot. On reboot it only goes so far then closes down again.I have Windows XP home. Any ideas where to go from here? many thanks Gill2

csqwared 22:04 28 Jun 08

I'd got to Start/Settings/ControlPanel/Add Remove Programmes and see if the nero prog is there, if it is un-install it. Go to System Restrore and go back to a known good configuration and then try and install again. You don't say which version of Nero you are installing, and without wanting to offend, it is a valid version?

gill2 22:08 28 Jun 08

Hi csqwared, yeh ,it is a valid copy albeit an old one. It is Nero 5.5. but my computer wont boot far enough to get to Start/ settings etc.

rdave13 22:11 28 Jun 08

Tap F8 or F5 on bootup. See if you can get to the screen that will allow you to pick 'last known good configuration'
Use the keyboard arrows keys to select and press enter.

csqwared 22:13 28 Jun 08

Ooh eck - puzzler!! Have you tried booting into safe mode - F8 i think.

Technotiger 22:13 28 Jun 08

Try starting in safe mode - keep tapping F8 on startup - then when in safe mode do a System Restore back to when everything was working ok.

rdave13 22:20 28 Jun 08

Depending on the mobo some will only get to the screen to select safemode by tapping F5. Agree most use F8 but not all. ESC mobos use F5.

csqwared 22:20 28 Jun 08

Great minds think alike but not necessarily at the same time ;-))

Technotiger 22:24 28 Jun 08

Hmm, probably all at the same time - just that some type quicker than others ... LoL

Technotiger 22:26 28 Jun 08

Agreed - but I have yet to here of anyone having to use F5!

gill2 22:30 28 Jun 08

Hi all, I tried to boot in safe mode and get as far as choosing Safe mode (using F5)and then the screen goes blank.I have just located my Advent Recovery Disk. Would it be best to try that? I have very little Knowledge about recovery disks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now