Help need with external usb drive transfer

whisked 21:32 16 Jan 05

I have some programs i want to transfer from old laptop to new. I thought i could use my Archos Usb harddrive to drag and drop from one machine to the other, but it is not working.

After initial drag and drop onto hard drive, i then connect hard drive to second machine and at that point i can run the program on the 2nd machine. but as soon as disconnect hard drive it won't run program, with a message saying the location is not present, ie the route of the external hard drive, that is after dragginbg and dropping to laptops hard drive.

Is there a way round this or can't this be done using this method?

Thanks

kimjhon 22:13 16 Jan 05

Hi whisked

I think you may just be creating a shortcut.

Try highlighting the file. Then drag using the right mouse button. Then select 'copy here'

TomJerry 22:27 16 Jan 05

a lot of programs installed files all over places (not only on the directory with program's name), more importantly linking registery keys are created in windows registery, all of those cannot be transfered

programs which can be transfered are those who put files in one single directory and also do not need any registry keys and there are not many of those

so you need to install it from original installtion files in you new laptop

no fun, but this is reality

whisked 22:45 16 Jan 05

I understand what you are saying but after having dragged and dropped the files to the usb drive, the software in question is working fine when the drive is connected to the other machine. So as it has got from A to B why can't it go from B to C?

TomJerry 23:04 16 Jan 05

all registery entries are still Intake, so it work.

when you move to new toy, no registery entries are present, so no no

whisked 23:11 16 Jan 05

No the drive is no longer linked to old pc. Drive had been disconnected from old pc, connected into new pc and software plays if i click on it within the new drive. So i am assuming as it transferred from old pc to usb drive that the same procedure from usb drive to new pc would work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…