Help - my web site takes hours to load!

Splitty 10:47 04 May 03

Please help.

I've just built my first web page. I've used Serif Web Plus 7 & it's hosted on the free site Topcities.

But, the site, although I've kept it as simple as possible, takes ages to load, even though I'm on broadband.

I've tried loads of different things, removing images, sticking to a simple font, Arial, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Does anyone have any ideas? How can I speed it up? Am I doing something simple wrong? Any advice greatly appreciated.

The address of the site is click here

thanks.

_Treb_ 10:57 04 May 03

Did not take too long considering the pictures.
I have old school photos on my site and they take forever to appear even in good old black and white.

MichelleC 11:00 04 May 03

Nice site.

It loads ok until links on html.2. Then pages take a while. I think it's the pics; if they're tiffs change to jpeg; if they're jpegs compress/optimise with pic prog.

pj123 11:07 04 May 03

I just tried your site and it loaded instantly, I am on BB at 600k.

The only problem I had was, there is lots of unused space on the left hand side and the right hand side is off-screen so I have to scroll right the read it all?

Splitty 11:16 04 May 03

thanks everyone.

the pics are jpegs already. i'll have a crack at optimising them in paint shop.

pj123, the reason i left space on the left is just because lots of sites do this. i thought it was so if you have a smaller monitor only the middle section would appear.

might have got this totally wrong though!

spuds 11:42 04 May 03

Nothing wrong with the download, even on 56k.Downloaded all in less than a couple of minutes.Good information, well laid out and formatted site.Liked the 'Catalina'.

menorcarob2 11:48 04 May 03

try splitting the site into more pages and lose the space to the left, the reason that your page needs scrolls is probable that it is set up as 640*480 try setting the page to 800*600 which is a size that alot of people use,

rickf 11:57 04 May 03

Loaded very quickly when I tried it just this minute.

Foolsbane_1 12:14 04 May 03

Site loaded instantly using 1Mb CB and Opera 7.10. But there is a banner ad overlaying your header and I wonder why the last five paragraphs of text are inserted as an image.

jon2 12:23 04 May 03

site loaded in sec's

menorcarob2 12:30 04 May 03

Foolsbane_1 is correct on looking further you have a lot of text that seems to be overlayed on you background and this is a jpeg, the background image is normaly a bitmap, why have you got all your background for different pages as different images this could be causing it to slow down as the next page to be downloaded will always need to download the background image.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos