Help My laptop wont allow access to any progs

BIGBAGGY 15:01 28 Nov 03

My sons laptop is acting strangely. It will no longer allow access at the "START" I click on it and nothing appears. LOads of things have disappeared of the desktop. When I click on "MyComputer" It says I cannot run it cos activeX not working. How can I solve this. The OS is ME is there a system restore anywhere? If I cannot fix how can I get a DOS prompt at start up so I can format and start again
ta

Giggle n' Bits 15:06 28 Nov 03

thing is getting to it, if you carn't pop the menu up from the Start (on bottom left hand corner) you won't be able to navigate to it.

Can you access the Control panel.

Do you have a Millenium CD, you could try and recover by starting the laptop with the Me CD in the Drive and reinstall over to repair.

There is a chance that this could be some sort of a virus also.

If you have any System restore CD/Floppy sets thats another option

BIGBAGGY 15:13 28 Nov 03

I'm thinking that there is a good chance it is a Virus. I can get into "SAFE MODE" would system restore work from here? If all else fails how do I get a DOS prompt?

VoG II 16:30 28 Nov 03

System Restore will work in Safe Mode. You should find it in Start, Programs/Accessories/System tools

OR

Start, Run and type in

C:\Windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

If that won't work you should be able to mget into DOS by booting with a start-up disk click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…