Help My laptop doesnt have an ehternet port

ronalddonald 23:59 19 Feb 08

ive got laptop about 5 yrs old and it doesnt have ehternet port.I was about to get an AOL wireless broaband router however they require the laptop to have an ethernet port and i dont know what to do, i be very grateful for any help many thanks

Kemistri 00:02 20 Feb 08

Buy an Ethernet PCMCIA adapter?

HXP 01:14 20 Feb 08

Try this

click here

HXP

dan** 08:19 20 Feb 08

" however they require the laptop to have an ethernet port "

All you need is a usb WiFi dongle.

dan** 08:20 20 Feb 08

" however they require the laptop to have an ethernet port "

No you don't.

All you need is a usb WiFi dongle.

ambra4 12:17 20 Feb 08

If you only have a laptop connected to your broadband modem you would need an Ethernet connection to set up the router

It is strongly recommended by All router suppliers that you use a physically connected cable to the Router via a Ethernet RJ45 cable for router setup.

Using a wireless adapter will allow you the freedom to move around the house with the laptop but Not recommended to access router to do setup at any time

If the laptop is limited on the amount of USB ports available you should look at the following

D-Link 10/100Mbps 32-Bit PCMCIA Adapter

click here

If you also want to make the laptop wireless look at using a Wireless PC Card Adapter

click here=|c:1237|c:1241|&Sort=0&Recs=10

You could also look at the following if the laptop has USB 2.0 ports if just USB 1.1 you

will find the connection slow

D-LINK USB 2.0 10/100 ETHERNET ADAPTER

click here

Download the data sheet & Features & Benefits pdf and take a read

click here

Will allow you to set up the router to access the Internet plus set up the wireless system if

you want to make the laptop wireless

The normal connect speed on a laptop build in wireless card or USB adapter is 54Mbps

With a hard wire system the Ethernet connect speed is 100Mbps

Personal I would get both units, set up your network using the Ethernet adapter and than connect the wireless adapter to allow you the freedom to move the laptop around

dan** 12:53 20 Feb 08

I set my router up and configured it via it's onboard wireless chip. It didn't need an ethernet cable connection.

ronalddonald 15:11 20 Feb 08

Thanks DAn** I be gattig a dongle soon

Kemistri 15:15 20 Feb 08

Lucky you, Dan. I would not recommend trying that with just any brand. It's just as well that your settings changes were not of the type that would force your wifi link to break, which can freeze the login status of many routers.

ambra4 16:25 20 Feb 08

Dan For Your Information straight from the user manuals of the following companies

3Com recommends that you perform the initial Router configuration
from a computer that is directly connected to one of the LAN ports.
If you configure the Router from a wireless computer, you will lose contact with
the Router and can corrupt the software if you change the wireless configuration.

Belkin Note: It is strongly recommended that you use a computer
Physically connected to the Router with an RJ45 cable for initial setup.
Using a wirelessly connected computer for initial setup is NOT recommended.

Buffalo recommends using a wired connection, meaning your computer is physically connected to the AirStation with a CAT5 straight cable plugged into one of the four LAN ports
This type of setup will eliminate possible setup problems due to any issues with the wireless adapter on the computer corrupting the firmware on the AirStation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…