HELP!!!! is my graphics card running OK?

IQ 10:01 09 Jan 04

hello all.

My card is an NVIDIA FX 5700 ULTRA 128MB. its power source is from the PC's PSU via the auxiliary cable to boost gfx. It should run like a beast BUT..

The problem: very VERY sluggish 3D graphics in GTA VICE CITY and NFS UNDERGROUND. Rendering is "choppy". My existing MX420 64mb is MUCH MUCH smoother - WHY?? HOW?

ISSUES: i downloaded latest forceware drivers and have all the latest Service Packs and Direct X 9. No improvement. OK then...

The GFX card powers up (coling fan spins) if plugged in the AGP slot without connection to the PC's PSU. So, I thought, let me see if it powers up from the POWER SUPPLY alone (as this provides power to boost game performance), so i removed it from the AGP slot,and with it connected to the PC's PSU, switched the PC on. the grx card fan
doesnt spin. So am i right in ASSUMING the card isnt working as its not being powered from the PC's PSU in this case? this is what im guessing, and that its running as a basic 128mb card...

lemme know people...so i can refund this today

Cheers

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 10:25 09 Jan 04

Not sure but wouldnt it need to be connected to the AGP slot to make a curcuit for the board,have you set your bios to correct AGP ratio ie: 2x,4x,8x it may be set at lower than it should be.

Regards.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 10:28 09 Jan 04

P.S you could try turning hardware acceleration down and see if you get same displayed choppyness
then turn it up 1 notch at a time see if it gets smoother if not i would assume the card is faulty or the drivers are not installed right,try to reinstall drivers from VGA mode bare bones setup.

IQ 10:34 09 Jan 04

hello nickname..
AGP 2.0 is set in the BIOS which the card requires...any other setting and the screen goes fuzzy. The only thing is should a gfx card's fan spin (proving its being powered) without a connection to the AGP slot.?!

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 10:38 09 Jan 04

I think the 5700 ultra should run at 8x AGP not sure can u turn your AGP up in bios more than 2x
see what happens.

Regards.

IQ 10:45 09 Jan 04

hello again.

Its definitely AGP2.0 as its in the documentation and anything above that setting simply corrupts the screen display.

However, I just read on a forum that you can actually boot and run a GFX card (without connecting it to the PC's PSU ) but windows will detect this and inform you that its running at low speed. Can you confirm this is TRUE as i havent tried it.

cheers for the feedback ...

IQ

IQ 10:48 09 Jan 04

...also, all drivers and MOBO bios has been updated and perfectly installed along with via/amd/agp chipset upgrades incluing latest Service pack from MSoft. the PC is windows 2000.

My PC's power supply is an enermax 350w so thats ample enough to juice up this GFX card. i just need to distinguish if this gfx card is utilising the power input from the PSU or simply from the AGP slot!

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 10:51 09 Jan 04

AGP 2.0 is the AGP slot you should be able to run it at higher agp if you change the settings x4 x8,this in the minimum requirements for the card

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
Intel Pentium?III, AMD™ Duron or Athlon™ class processor or higher
128MB system RAM
A 250W system power supply
A motherboard with an AGP 2.0 slot
50MB of available hard disk space
CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
Microsoft?Windows?98 or higher, ME, 2000, XP, or Windows?NT4.0 (Service Pack 5 or 6)
VGA or DVI-I compatible monitor

and i think the card will still run without it bieng connected to the psu cos it will get power from the AGP slot but not like it would connected to the psu.

Reagrds.

IQ 10:54 09 Jan 04

hehe..thanks again for the info :) i have an athlon XP 1800+, with 512mb ram on an abit KG7 mobo. This is a very stable box! well, looks like ill take it back and get a refund otherwise ill lose out and rip my hair out figuring out where to go next! i guess its one of those days eh? thanx again :)

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 10:57 09 Jan 04

Ok.lol but me i would have checked AGP speed in bios first,lol.

Regards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…