Help! My DVD Drive has gone missing

TheAtheist 23:15 29 Nov 06

Hi. I wanted to convert a DVD to my pocket pc the other day when it wouldn't work saying the E:\Drive where it used to sit, doesn't exist.

My PC hasn't been physically opened or damaged; the drive still has power (eg the drive tray still opens/closes); the IDE cables are connected properly.

When I checked the BIOS (by Award) it says that only my CD-ROM Drive and HD are installed. I've also tried running 'Add Hardware' and still no joy.

I've run virus/spyware software AdAware/Spybot/SpyDoctor/AVG. Even Trend Micro's online Housecall to check for nasties. And nothing.

Help, what else can I do...

johnnyrocker 23:19 29 Nov 06

is it present in device manager? if xp delete and reboot see if xp finds it?

johnny.

TheAtheist 23:24 29 Nov 06

Johnny,

No. Not present in the Device Manager. I'll give the XP Disc a go though. But won't that completely reformat my PC? Or will it give me a choice?

Thanx for the quick come-back.

Stuartli 23:29 29 Nov 06

In Device Manager, highlight the drive>Properties>Uninstall and then reboot.

Windows should Find New Hardware and reinstall the basic CDROM driver (all an optical drive requires) and the drive.

You don't need your XP disk in any way.

Stuartli 23:31 29 Nov 06

If this doesn't work and both drives are shown in Device Manager in Safe Mode, then it will most likely be be an insecure or faulty IDE cable.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:39 29 Nov 06

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41
Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager.
(This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio or other writing software.)
click here
or
Run regedit and navigate to registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-

08002BE10318}.
Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values.
Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them.
Close regedit and restart the computer.
If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

TheAtheist 12:36 30 Nov 06

Thanks to all for your responses.

You've given me a couple more options to play with.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…