help my Dell !

SWJ 19:05 24 Jan 04

although with only 12 months on the clock - my 2.8ghz Pent 4 Dell8250 is now reaaally slow.
with 5 users ( 3 kids) im sure its now full of c**p -lots of which will be hidden. I now want to basically wipe it all off and start again.

What is the simplest solution to take me back to when i bought it!
after backing up all files should i simply reformat the hard drive, and then re-install everything?

or is there a more elegant solution?

Thanks

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:15 24 Jan 04

Format C :-))))

If you re-install it will take you back to the original state. You should have a recovery disk which will have all the drivers on. If you have, use that. If not, make sure that you have all the relevant driver disks. The whole operation should take an hour or so.

You could delete all the temp and cookie files. Gl to start-control panel-folder options and ensure 'show all folders' is ticked. Then go to My Computer-C-documents and settings. Click on each name and delete everything in the cookie files and then, in each user, go to 'local settings' and zap all the files in temp, temp internet and history. You could also download the free version of Adaware from click here and run that. Delete all programmes that are not used in the add/remove section of control panel. A trip to the defrag button, reboot and see if it runs OK.

G

bretsky 22:39 24 Jan 04

A word of caution here, if you are running winxp, you are looking at a minimum of one and a half hours just to reinstall the o/s, then you have to reinstall all the software that came with your pc not to mention all the data that you will have been backed up!

If you do decide to reformat and you are running Norton av, uninstall this first, then when you come to reinstall NAV it will recognize your subscription date for your virus definition updates!!!!!!!!!!!!

A simple solution would be to give your pc a damn good spring clean of all your temp files and all data no longer needed and to finish off with a defrag, not once but at least 3 times and you will notice the difference.

bretsky using winxp home ed sp1 on a Dell dimension 4300 1Gb sdram, 1.8ghz p4, 2xHdd 180Gb Nvidia intergrated graphics, NEC 1100a DVD+R/+RW, NAV 2002....................

Good luck........................bretsky;0)

temp003 05:09 25 Jan 04

click here

According to the Dell website, the Operating System CD that comes with Dimension 8250 is a full installation CD. Look at page 71 on the online manual for instructions (which may also be on your manual if you have one). You should also have a Resource CD which contains the necessary Dell drivers.

The Dell support website also has updates for drivers. Check that as well.

Since you have the XP CD and drivers CD, I would have thought a reformat is the most elegant solution. But make sure you have backed up all the files you need to keep first. If in doubt as to where certain files are kept on the hard disk in XP, post back for help.

Also try to keep the same computer name. Right click My Computer, Properties, Network Identification tab, and note down the computer name. During the installation process, you'll be asked to enter a computer name. Use the same one.

If you're happy with the existing partitioning on the hard disk, in XP Setup, when you are asked where to install XP, just highlight the C partition, and press Enter. Then when given options for formatting, choose Format with NTFS file system (even though it is already on NTFS). Then XP Setup will reformat the partition (losing all data, but that's what you want). Do NOT select leave existing file system intact.

The other thing is to download and copy on to CD, the XP Blaster patch. After installing XP, apply the patch immediately, before going on the internet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…