Help, is my CPU broken?

HarrisonCole 15:59 01 Jun 14

Ok so a couple of days ago I was installing a new PSU and it was all going ok, testing it while I had the case open, etc. I then plugged in my VERY old HDD and it sent a power surge through my PC which I saw a spark come from my CPU.

My old HDD is broken, but I still have a 1TB SSHD. So I plug it in and its all going ok then I check the bios and notice my CPU is going up to 75 cel! just on the bios.

I decided to check it out and took off my heatsnych; though when I took it out the CPU came off along with it! the thermal paste was pretty much gone and the rest of it had cemented to my CPU.(All the pins on my CPU were fine)

My guess is that the thermal paste was making the heat go up to 75 cel, although when it got to that heat I decided to turn off my PC, I guess it could have got up to about 80 cel if I left it.

My heatsynch was also stock on the FX 8350, many people recommended to upgrade it. So what do you guys think? is my CPU broken or should I get some new thermal paste and a new heatsynch?

nickf 17:34 01 Jun 14

CPU should be ok , 80c is not excessive. I would get some good quality TIM , and the correct cleaning products to remove the old paste . More concerning is the fact your CPU came away with the heat sink , it should be secured to MOBO .

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:02 01 Jun 14

So I plug it in and its all going ok then I check the bios and notice my CPU is going up to 75 cel! just on the bios.

If you got that far then cpu is OK clean off the old paste and put on a good quailty paste like artic silver.

HarrisonCole 19:07 01 Jun 14

Thanks for the replies guys,

I mean, is it normal for the CPU to go to 75cel on the bios with no thermal paste?

Mr Mistoffelees 20:22 01 Jun 14

Yes, because the heat generated is not being efficiently transferred to the heatsink.

HarrisonCole 20:53 01 Jun 14

Thanks for the help guys!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant