Help my backlight going on laptop and need to save

Happy1 11:13 28 Jan 05

How do I save my cookies etc to transfer to other computer. This is XP Pro. The other is XP Home will that make a diffeence.

Also how do I Save and transfer Files and settings to put on other computer. Please please this is URGENT.

Many thanks

Sethhaniel 11:26 28 Jan 05

so that at least you can see what you're doing ??

JonnyTub 11:27 28 Jan 05

you could use the files and settings transfer wizard, start, all program's, accessories, system tools, file and settings transfer wizard.

I've never used it myself so i don't know exactly how it works or what it backs up, another member may be able to advise on this or another method.

Happy1 11:33 28 Jan 05

Hi Sethaniel,

I probably couldif I knew what to do. I can just about see what I am doing. I am very worrid this machine is going to completely fail though and would like to transfer my cookies so I don't have trouble accessing my Favourite sites of which there are rather a lot. Would it be feasible to transfer cookies to another machine which is XP Home from XP Pro?

Happy1 11:39 28 Jan 05

Hi Johnny Tub.

I know I should have thought about backing up etc. I have never used files & settings transfer wizard. Wonder if it will work for two different XP's. Think on other machine just a CD Drive. Will it read and transfer settings do you think.

I have managed to save photos and some docs to CD RW disc. I do Family History so lots of info online but also have a lot on this hard drive.

JonnyTub 11:41 28 Jan 05

transferring from pro to home shouldn't cause any probs, but as i said, i've never used it before, i prefer to burn everything to disk and start afresh.

johnnyrocker 11:43 28 Jan 05

swap hard drive to slave on other machine and transfer from there?

just a thought.

Happy1 11:45 28 Jan 05

Hi how do I do that please?

JonnyTub 11:46 28 Jan 05

hard drive from laptop into desktop ?

You'd need a caddy of some sort

Happy1 11:53 28 Jan 05

jonny TubWhat is a caddy? I am not sure of technical terms with computers.

Do you mean a USB Flash drive. I have a 32Mb one which has never been installed or set up. If I install on here do I save what I want and then set up on other machine and transfer. Would that work do you think. I am always nervous about installing new stuff.

Sethhaniel 12:05 28 Jan 05

windows explorer - tools - folder options - view - hidden files & folders - select show hidden files & folders -
select apply - OK

then in windows explorer - c:\documents and Settings\<user name>\favourites you can copy that folder to usb flash drive and over to same location on other PC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…