Help! Monitor / tv refresh rate confusion

mosesdad 22:40 18 Aug 05

We bought an LG LCD TV ("LG L172WT - FLATRON - LCD TV - TFT - 17" - colour") for our son to use at university in place of a separate TV and monitor. We chose it having checked the specification on Amazon UK's site and ordered it on Sunday 26th June via their supplier: Mabtech. On delivery we found that the image quality was poor so re-checked the specification on LG's own site and discovered that LG show the response rate as 25ms whilst Amazon showed it to be 12 ms.
As this was one of our key purchase determiners (our target was a response rate below 20ms) we wrote to LG asking which was correct.
Their reply left me more confused:
"Thank you for your email. The response time on the monitor is 12ms on grey to grey and 25ms on black to white. Yours Sincerely, LG".

Amazon initially agreed to look into our request for a refund but backed out when Mabtech referred them to an answer they had from LG confirming that the response rate was 12ms. Mabtech agreed with us that the website is confusing as it quotes both 25ms and 12ms however they have not offered a refund only promising to take it up with LG themselves. We are still waiting after another month.
The image quality is actually worse than the 20 year old TV and the 4 year old monitor it was due to replace. It has remained boxed up since the day it arrived.
Can anyone advise us if we have a reasonable case for a refund? If the response rate really is 12ms why is it so much poorer than the ancient TV it replaces?
The cost of the LG model was £299.
Thanks Mosesdad

VoG II 22:47 18 Aug 05

I think that this would get a greater response in the Consumerwatch forum. click here

woodchip 22:51 18 Aug 05

If it's by Credit Card get on the Credit card that you used. tell them it does not meat your requirements

DieSse 23:01 18 Aug 05

Response times are a very emotive subject! - and as you have found there are different ways of measuring them - and no agreed common standard.

Incidentally the Black to white time is, I understand, normally the fastest time, not the slowest (which may seem surprising, but it's something to do with precise control of the transistor voltages, as opposed to just on/off). I read this just yesterday - but can't find the exact reference just now.

However - the response time should not have any effect on picture quality - so I don't think this is actually your problem

Are you talking quality as a monitor, or as a TV - if as a TV, are you sure you're feeding t a good quality signal? through the tuner or SCART - there's a world of difference.

mosesdad 17:06 19 Aug 05

Thanks for the ideas, I have already posted the same message on Consumerwatch forum as VoG suggested (maybe Amazon/Mabtech/LG are watching....?).
Woodchip: I'm not sure credit card companies will allow refund now that it's over the 1 month?
DieSse: the signal is coming from the same aerial wire as for the old TV and we used the scart cable provided by LG...

DieSse 18:22 19 Aug 05

DieSse: the signal is coming from the same aerial wire as for the old TV and we used the scart cable provided by LG...

Don't quite follow - your TV signal is coming from the aerial - what's the SCART from?

woodchip 23:21 19 Aug 05

128 days

For use as a monitor - TFT monitors have a native resolution, this means there is an optimum resolution where everything looks clearest. At any other resolution the image quality degrades sharply. For a 17" the native resolution is 1280 x 1024. Make sure it is set to this.

Sorry can't help you with the TV quality problem.

DieSse 00:00 20 Aug 05

TV quality depends on the quality of the input signal, and the quality of the tuner if using an aerial cable (if using a Scart cable, the tuner is not used, so is irrelevant - Scart cable such as from DVD, Digibox, VCR).

The tuners in al TVs are not equaly sensitive - so from a poorish quality aerial signal, you might get a good picture on one TV and a poor picture on another. Wheras from a strong signal, they should all work fine.

So the best way to see the quality of a TV picture on the set, is to feed it from a DVD player, via a Scart or component video leads (not an aerial type cable).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…