help with monitor / pc dvi / analogue connection

jarani 14:21 31 Dec 04

i need help with connecting dvi-d and d-sub monitor to dvi-i and d-sub pc please

i have 2 cables - dvi-d 24 pin and d-sub 15 pin

i want to use both digital and analogue broadcast and other facilities to best advantage , do i connect both cables or dvi-d or d-sub alone

the pc is medion 8383 and the monitor is iiyama e431s , i know that this may be the least of my problems but i need to start somewhere

AndySD 14:40 31 Dec 04

Just the DVI

jarani 19:24 31 Dec 04

AndySD - thank you for the prompt response - I thought that DVI-D cable will only transmit Digital signals - I also need to transmit analogue signals for which you need either DVI-I cable - both Digital and analogue signals - which is not available at my monitor or perhaps both cables ---- is there any harm in connecting both cables ? I have tried to read up on this but failed to understand it properly - the handbooks on both the pc and the monitor fail to guide you on this point -- jarani

AndySD 09:20 01 Jan 05

If there is a dvi connection on the pc then use this to connect to the monitor. To take it to its simplist the PC produces digital information, the graphics card then sends this straight to the monitor via DVI or the card converts it to analogue then sends it via that cable. As any signals to the monitor are going through the graphics card you only need the one cable. There are two connectors on the back of the card so you not only have the choice (some monitors disappointingly have only the analogue connection) but you can use the second connection to attach a second monitor.

jarani 12:40 01 Jan 05

AndySD - thank you for the most helpful comments - DVI-D it will be - jarani

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…