HELP -Modem won't connect

cottager 22:20 12 Jun 03

After recently formatting the hard drive on a friend's Gateway notebook, I was able to reload the Win 98 SE OS with no problems but when it came to re-registering with her ISP then our problems began. The modem rings out and connects only to immediately disconnect and in one case the error message of modem either not properly installed or already in use came up. I have checked, rechecked and double checked all the various connections. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the modem but still no joy. Anyone have any suggestions?
Cottager

ton 22:32 12 Jun 03

A mistake in either user name or password might have the same effect. The odd full stop or space is easily overlooked.

If this is no help at least it will put you back at the top of the page.

ton 22:34 12 Jun 03

I did have a similar problem once. I made a second connection in DUN and it then worked.

Quiller. 22:40 12 Jun 03

Have you deleted it from device manager. It may say simple pci communications controller.

If you have not, then delete it and then reboot. Windows will then find it and ask for the drivers.

This is the usual problem with 98 as it loads generic drivers after a format.

jaygice 00:09 13 Jun 03

i had the same problem last week and it turned out to be my usb hub or try the dial up networking this was all reset as well its fine now

woodchip 00:22 13 Jun 03

Check to see if the Modem is on a Riser card it may be a AMR or CNR in which case you need to load the AMR port from the Motherboard CD-ROM

cottager 16:53 13 Jun 03

The drivers etc are on a pre install disk which came with the notebook. So it is this disk which is used to format so presumably all the drivers are installed as necessary automatically.
Bsod - yes I did delete from the Device Manager and windows found it after re booting. Any other suggestions please - I could possibly overlooked something so damn obvious!! Password and username have been checked and re checked and all seems okay in that dept.
Cottager

cottager 16:54 13 Jun 03

Pardon my ignorance but how do you make a second connection in dun?
Cottager

ton 21:12 13 Jun 03

I just made another connection by opening 'Dial up Networking' and clicking 'make new connection'.
Just fill in the details.

Obviously the name you give it must be slightly different to the first. If it works, then delete the first one and rename it.

wicked willy 23:36 13 Jun 03

Hi there If you look how your Modem is connected check that it is not Hang up and the Tick is in the box if iot is uncheck the box and try again Bill

woodchip 00:02 14 Jun 03

Try loading a different ISP, just to see if it will work with it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…