Help with Modem - pc can't find it

lindy 12:48 24 Apr 04

Help please!!

I've just reformatted a hd on a computer and reinstalled win 2000 however it can't find the modem. This was a Packard Bell computer with a built in modem - I have the start up discs but can't find any modem details on them - please help.

bodylin

Stuartli 12:59 24 Apr 04

Have you checked that the modem (via Device Manager>highlight modem>click Properties is still Enabled under the General tab (Use This Device)?

lindy 13:13 24 Apr 04

The Modem isn't in device manager - I can't get the computer to find it - help

mgmcc 13:26 24 Apr 04

Have you tried running the Add New Hardware wizard to see if a manual scan can find it?

If that doesn't work, I would try shutting down and physically removing the modem and then booting without it. Shut down again, re-insert the modem and see if it is then found as new hardware.

Then if that doesn't work, go to "Control Panel > Modems" and Add New Modem. (I don't have Win2000 currently installed to check exact details.)

Stuartli 13:29 24 Apr 04

Then have you checked that it is enabled (as it is presumably a mobo mounted modem) in the Bios?

Stuartli 13:30 24 Apr 04

By mobo mounted I don't mean a PCI modem but the Riser type.

lindy 13:36 24 Apr 04

I've tried going through add new hardware but as I don't know which make of modem it is it's difficult to add however I have tried adding a couple of generic modems and they all go to com1 and don't give me any advanced options and still says that the modem can't be detected.

lindy 13:44 24 Apr 04

How do I get into the bios - I thought it was F8 on startup but that only offers me options for safemode etc

VoG II 13:47 24 Apr 04

Normally it is the DEL key but could be others click here

lindy 14:22 24 Apr 04

Afraid I still can't get into the bios - don't know if it's something specific with Win 2000. I've taken the modem out it is a card and when I put it back in the computer still didn't recognise it. It did work perfectly before.

mgmcc 16:27 24 Apr 04

<<I've tried going through add new hardware but as I don't know which make of modem it is it's difficult to add>>

Download and install the free "Belarc Advisor" application which will give you details of all hardware and software installed in the PC - click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…