Help with Modem - pc can't find it

lindy 12:48 24 Apr 04

Help please!!

I've just reformatted a hd on a computer and reinstalled win 2000 however it can't find the modem. This was a Packard Bell computer with a built in modem - I have the start up discs but can't find any modem details on them - please help.

bodylin

Stuartli 12:59 24 Apr 04

Have you checked that the modem (via Device Manager>highlight modem>click Properties is still Enabled under the General tab (Use This Device)?

lindy 13:13 24 Apr 04

The Modem isn't in device manager - I can't get the computer to find it - help

mgmcc 13:26 24 Apr 04

Have you tried running the Add New Hardware wizard to see if a manual scan can find it?

If that doesn't work, I would try shutting down and physically removing the modem and then booting without it. Shut down again, re-insert the modem and see if it is then found as new hardware.

Then if that doesn't work, go to "Control Panel > Modems" and Add New Modem. (I don't have Win2000 currently installed to check exact details.)

Stuartli 13:29 24 Apr 04

Then have you checked that it is enabled (as it is presumably a mobo mounted modem) in the Bios?

Stuartli 13:30 24 Apr 04

By mobo mounted I don't mean a PCI modem but the Riser type.

lindy 13:36 24 Apr 04

I've tried going through add new hardware but as I don't know which make of modem it is it's difficult to add however I have tried adding a couple of generic modems and they all go to com1 and don't give me any advanced options and still says that the modem can't be detected.

lindy 13:44 24 Apr 04

How do I get into the bios - I thought it was F8 on startup but that only offers me options for safemode etc

VoG II 13:47 24 Apr 04

Normally it is the DEL key but could be others click here

lindy 14:22 24 Apr 04

Afraid I still can't get into the bios - don't know if it's something specific with Win 2000. I've taken the modem out it is a card and when I put it back in the computer still didn't recognise it. It did work perfectly before.

mgmcc 16:27 24 Apr 04

<<I've tried going through add new hardware but as I don't know which make of modem it is it's difficult to add>>

Download and install the free "Belarc Advisor" application which will give you details of all hardware and software installed in the PC - click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

D&AD Awards 2017: see the best design, advertising, illustration, animation and VR of the past year

How to lose weight with an Apple Watch