Help! missing file on laptop cant boot!

morris948 18:47 14 Nov 03

I have a laptop IBM T23 running win2000 NTFS format.
I was tidying up the D:drive and deleted a temp folder with drivers for Hp office jet printers, on reboot the message i get is:--

Invalid bootini file
windows 2000 root\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

reinstall a copy of above file.

Well: i found a copy of the file on my winXP desktop PC but it is 1.83 Mbytes and wont fit on a floppy, i zipped it and got it domn to 1.0 mBytes.
question is, how do i extract a zipped copy of this file into the directory of my laptop when i can only use DOS.

I have created a bootable diskette and have navigated to the system 32 directory how can i uncompress a zipped file just using DOS.

hugh-265156 18:53 14 Nov 03
  morris948 19:13 14 Nov 03

I am trying to type in the command line :
Atrrib -s-r c:\boot.ini as suggested from the link but i get bad command or file name, i have tried leaving spaces between the s and r switches, what am i doing wrong? do i have to be at the A:\ prompt? or the C:\ prompt, i am using the C:\ command line at present

morris948 20:28 14 Nov 03

The message on the laptop is asking to reinstall the missing file, but the file is to big to fit on the floppy and this is the only bootable device that i can work with, so: how can it be done!!

Try PKZip for DOS click here

or how about making the zip file a self extracting file from within WinZip, then copy that to a floppy?

hugh-265156 21:43 14 Nov 03

"The message on the laptop is asking to reinstall the missing file"

YES,this is only a symptom but you just need to edit the boot.ini as in the MS article.

you do not have to install anything

morris948 08:14 15 Nov 03

thanks for explaining the symptom, but i cant seem to access the boot.ini file in command prompt.
when i type < attrib -s-r C:\ boot.ini > all i get is bad command or file name, can anyone help please!

temp003 11:07 15 Nov 03

Try this. On your XP machine, insert a floppy, right click Drive A, and select Format. On the next pop-up window, click Start (and do NOT tick any of the options). You must do the formatting (even with a brand new floppy).

After formatting, go to the XP machine's C drive, and see if you can see the 3 files, called ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini

If you do, copy the 3 files to the floppy. If you don't see the files, click Tools, Folder Options, View tab, (1) tick Show hidden files and folders (2) untick Hide file extensions for known file types, (3) untick Hide protected operating system files (4) click OK, and then you will see them. Then copy to floppy.

The XP boot files will work on Windows 2000 machine. I also assume that both your XP and Windows 2000 are installed on the first partition on their respective hard disks.

Then double click the file A:\boot.ini which should open in Notepad.

You will see a line beginning with "default" which should read:

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

Change WINDOWS to WINNT

Then under the section [operating systems], it should read:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home" /fastdetect

Change WINDOWS to WINNT

and change XP Home to 2000 Professional

Click File and Save. Exit.

Note that this assumes your Windows 2000 is installed on first partition of hard disk. If it is the 2nd partition, in both lines in the boot.ini file above, partition(1) should read partition(2), and so on.

Then remove floppy from XP machine, insert it into the Windows 2000 laptop, and restart computer. See if you can boot into Windows 2000. If so, defrag your Windows 2000 hard disk.

After that, try restarting without floppy and see if it boots into Windows 2000. If not, you can restart with the Windows 2000 CD, and do a repair installation (installing fresh copy over existing copy). This will preserve data and programs, but you will need to reinstall all Windows updates (including service pack). In Windows Setup, your choice should be to install a fresh copy, until you get the choice to repair existing installation.

The Microsoft article assumes that something has changed the partition number of your Windows 2000 partition. From what you have told us, I doubt the partition table has changed. But if the floppy doesn't work, you could try editing the A:\boot.ini file again, and add 1 to the partition number. That is, if originally, the partition number should be partition(1), change it to partition(2). Save the file, and see if it works. I'm sceptical myself.

There is always the last resort referred to above, that of repairing Windows 2000 by installing a fresh copy over the existing installation.

Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…