help with MIDI

DAG88 11:53 08 Feb 04

Hi all

I want to link my keyboard (music not computer) to my PC via MIDI so that I can record and compose music.

My keyboard has MIDI in, out and through. My motherboard has a game port which i believe is the connection for MIDI.

I have tried connecting the keyboard to the PC through the MIDI out but the PC did not seem to recognise the connection when trying to record it through Cubasis

Can anyone advise me on how to get things working. I dont mind downloading a different program

Windows XP Pro, Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 256 RAM, onboard Sound, Korg PA 80 keyboard

Pidder 14:35 08 Feb 04

Don't know much about this. Is the outout from the keyboard analogue audio, at low level? If so would think you can use line in, record using, say, WaveLab Lite, (which I had bundled with Clean), and treat as an ordinary Wave file.

DAG88 15:09 08 Feb 04

Thank you Pidder. I'm not sure if the output from the keyboard is analogue but I would assume it is. As for the Line in, I have allready considered this but I want to use the MIDI so that I can write the music at the same time and then edit it afterwards which cannot be done by simply recording wave.

Any more advice welcome

MIDI stands for Musical Instrument Digital Interface. So you have a digital output, but is the game port input digital? What are the motherboard details?

DAG88 17:51 08 Feb 04

I am using a Matsonic MS9147C with a VIA VT8753A apollo P4X333 chipset

I've been scouting round for the lowdown on MIDI. You would appear to have an on-board AC 97 sound card.

What you are looking for is a Joystick/Midi input on the PC.

Have a look in Control Panel, Sounds and Audio, Audio, Sound Recording, Volume, Line in.

Help and Support, Hardware Test, Troubleshooting DirectX, Music, Test, DirectX diagnostic tool.

ShockingCandy 20:40 08 Feb 04

To clarify, are you trying to record the actual sound from the keyboard are just the midi data?

If its the midi data then connect the keyboard's MIDI OUT to the gameport.

In Cubasis, you need to set the track properties you wish to record on. This should be something like source=the midi channel your keyboard is broadcasting on, port=either midi port or gameport, channel=same as source. This exact wording varies between sequencer software but should be in the programs help files. set RECORD active on the track your using and then hit the actual RECORD button.

Bare in mind this will record only the notes NOT the actual sound so to hear it back you'll need to either plug the gameport OUT into the keyboards MIDI IN or set source=your sound cards MIDI synth in track properties.

If this doesnt work you may wish to check that the gameport in installed correctly in device manager.

If you want to record the sound then you need to plug the keybaords output into your soundcards LINE IN and set the track properties sorce=soundcard's audio IN (this doesn't involve MIDI)

Hope this helps - you might want to consider getting a book though

DAG88 21:13 08 Feb 04

Thank you [email protected]@m and Shocking Candy for your responses.

Yes I do want to record the MIDI, not the wave.

I will follow your instructions later tonight and post to tell you how I got on

-Beb- 21:24 08 Feb 04

I make music on my computer using Finale and tryed to get my midi keyboard to make the music. I had an onboard sound card and it wouldnt recognise the keyboard, so I bought a Hercules Digifire7.1 card some time last year for £50, I think they're cheaper now. If you do want to make music, the sound quality is amazingly better than onboard sound and you even get firewire.

DAG88 22:22 08 Feb 04

When I open the volume control window it does not show MIDI where as my sisters computer does. Do you think that means my onboard sound is not compatible with MIDI?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…