Help with Microsoft Word 2002

ray27 12:59 01 Dec 04

I am using Microsoft Word 2002

I have to write an essay and include all the references that I obtained the information from such as text books, internet etc and it can only contain a max of 500 words.

I was wondering if someone could tell me how I can put a small numeral such as a 1,2 ,3 besides the reference in the body of the essay, and at the end of the essay lists them 1, 2, 3 with the title of were they came from.

Whenever I type 2nd it automatically makes the th smaller and that’s what I want to achieve with numerals I hope I am making myself clear.
Is there a keyboard shortcut for this feature?

If there is another way of achieving the same result I would be glad for any advice

I would be very grateful for any advice given

Lady Lara 13:04 01 Dec 04

Right click the toolbar and select Customize
then select the Commands Tab. Under Categories find 'Superscript. Left click it the drag it to your toolbars up top.

Now whenever you put you number in 1,2 or 3it can be highlighted and by clicking on your new button it does exactly what you want.

Lady Lara 13:08 01 Dec 04

Click where you want the reference located.
On the Insert menu, point to Reference, and then click Cross-reference.
In the Reference type box, click Footnote or Endnote.
In the For which box, click the note to which you want to refer.
In the Insert reference to box, click Footnote number or Endnote number.
Click Insert, and then click Close.
The note reference mark (note reference mark: A number, character, or combination of characters that indicates that additional information is contained in a footnote or endnote.) is inserted as unformatted text rather than as superscript (superscript: Describes text that is slightly higher than other text on a line, such as a footnote reference mark.).

Format the note reference mark as superscript

Select the note reference mark.
If the Styles and Formatting task pane (task pane: A window within an Office application that provides commonly used commands. Its location and small size allow you to use these commands while still working on your files.) is not open, click Styles and Formatting on the Formatting toolbar (toolbar: A bar with buttons and options that you use to carry out commands. To display a toolbar, click Customize on the Tools menu, and then click the Toolbars tab.).
In the Styles and Formatting task pane, click Custom in the Show box.
In the Format Settings dialog box, select the Footnote Reference or Endnote Reference check box, and then click OK.
In the Styles and Formatting list, click Footnote Reference or Endnote Reference.
Superscript formatting is applied to the footnote.

Note The new number that Microsoft Word inserts is actually a cross-reference to the original reference mark. If you add, delete, or move a note, Word updates the cross-reference number when you print the document or when you select the cross-reference number and then press F9. If you have trouble selecting the cross-reference number by itself, try selecting some surrounding text along with it, and then press F9

ray27 13:24 01 Dec 04

Thanks for the quick reply

I tried the first method you sugested but superscript dos'nt appear under the customize/comands tab / catogories it has File Edit View etc but no Superscript
I will try your second method but that seems a bit complicated any idea why I manage to get the 2nd smaller automaticly ?

Lady Lara 13:34 01 Dec 04

ray27

where you saw the "file.. edit etc" select Format and on the options that appear on the right scroll down to find superscript

Lara

ray27 13:35 01 Dec 04

many thanks But I think I have cracked it by using the footnote function ,why I didnt think of looking there I dont know many thanks once again for the advice
Ray PS Any connection to the Toomb Raider Lara?

ray27 13:41 01 Dec 04

Thanks for that last bit it worked a treat many thanks, another satisfied customer
Ray

Lady Lara 13:43 01 Dec 04

Not really except that i am adventurous, can handle a gun. Am blonde though and regard myself a 'classy bird' Hence the Lady bit!
Name is Lara which helps!

TC

LL

PS. Totally off the subject but that's all from me. Back to PC Advisor now

ray27 14:47 01 Dec 04

Many thanks for all the advice
regards Ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…