Help With Mesh PC Problem

diver9 16:46 09 May 10

Guys,

I have just had a friends PC which was having problems and then went to black screen.

I checked it and cleared a load of bugs, viruses etc and then when I plugged it back in at their house it went to blue screen:

STOP
0x0000008E
(oxc0000005, 0x8BEFFE4E, )x89AB386C - 0x00000000)

nvlddkm.sys -address 8BEFFE4E
base at 8BC0d)))
Datestamp 4668f25f

I returned home and replaced the graphics card and rebuilt the system. All was fine then bluescreen again, replaced the graphics card with one I had spare (lower level) and all was well except for a

"CMOS cheksum error loading defaults"

I replaced the CMOS battery, but am still getting this error.

Took it back to their place and started it up - no probs, did their e mails and set everything else up.

I have just received a phonecall saying that it has "gone again"

really light screen (as if graphics card is not working) timer is spinning and nothng can connect etc.

Has anyone got any ideas as I am a little stumped.

They only surf the net/emails etc and do NOT game on this machine

I can confirm that there was a LOT of dust to extraordinary thick levels in the case, cpu heatsink and PSU and the old graphics card was VERY hot to the touch.

Is the PSU gone, Is the spare graphics card not sufficient? Does the BIOS need reflashing? Has the CPU bin burnt beyond repair?

They are running vista 32bit.

Thanks for any advice. I do not want them to throw good money after bad.

Diver9

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:11 09 May 10

# Test your RAM. The most common cause of the STOP 0x0000008E error is memory that is damaged or has stopped working properly for some reason.

Replace any nonworking memory modules if your tests show a problem.

# Verify that the system memory is properly installed. Memory that's installed in some way other than that suggested by your motherboard manufacturer could cause STOP 0x0000008E errors and other related problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now