HELP MEDIA files slow down my comp!

unbent 10:34 06 Sep 05

i have just built a new pc, athlon 64 3500, 1 gb ram, msi k8t neo2 mobo, bfg 6600gt/oc agp graphics card...everything seems to be fine...plays games really well, plays music, but will not play any movies!! i hav power dvd, i thought that dvds would work...but the cpu fills up and comp nearly freezes its so slow, its the same with any video file weather it be usin wmp or real...comp slows right up and wont play movie!! i have no idea why my cpu fills up cos of them yet still plays games an music and functions fine for other things!!! and is a scsi drive so doesnt use dma interface also the ram and everything is working...i think it is a software problem anyhelp would be soooo great! please help

Stuartli 10:44 06 Sep 05

Have you installed any video codecs?

Try the standard K-Lite codecs pack from:

click here

There's also the WMP9 codecs pack (applies to WMP10 as well).

The VLC media player (see):

click here

will play pretty well what ever is thrown at it.

unbent 10:46 06 Sep 05

thanks ill try that, but i dont htink thats the trouble...cos its not jus wmp..its power dvd...i think its jus the type of fiel?? an a shoddy built comp:)

Stuartli 10:49 06 Sep 05

Have you checked the Cyberlink website for patches for PowerDVD - there's one for Version5 for a start?

unbent 10:50 06 Sep 05

ooh..good point
didnt think of that:) haha thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…