Help me with Wirelesss Networking

harysman 01:35 24 Mar 06

Thanks for everybody for previous notes.
Howevr I have a new problem now. I purchase new Sony laptop with xp Prof. I can't set up this laptop to my wireless home network. 2 Laptops I already have in my wireless network, both of them have wind XP home, new laptop has a Wind. XP Prof. I can see my new laptop thru network, but I cant access to files. I'm sure there is some easy setting for my new laptop to be connected to other laptops thru wireless network,

dms05 07:22 24 Mar 06

Take a look at this thread click here and see if it helps. XP Pro and XP Home are different and I've had (unresolved) issues similar to yours.

Danoh 11:41 24 Mar 06

I don't have an XP Pro m/c connected to my wireless network, but have the following all working with full file/folder-sharing, etc;
> Media Centre 2005, which is XP Pro SP2 with extra Media Centre GUI modules
> Sony Laptop XP Home
> plus other XP Home

I have found I needed to change software firewall settings on the XP Pro based Media Centre PC to enable print & folder sharing.

ade.h 13:46 24 Mar 06

Double-check the w/g name of each client, which defaults every time the wizard is run on a new client. Also check the w/g in the router config.

Check the status of the accounts in which your shared folders reside; if privacy is enabled, they won't be shared. There are other account issues that occur too, but that would require a much longer post and I'm having to type this quickly.

Check that the shared folders have been manually entered into the My Network Places folder on all clients; it is supposed to auto-populate periodically, but often does not. They should be entered by you as a matter of course.

Check the firewall permissions/trusted area. If you are stuck with using the Windoze Firewall, check its exclusions.

Consider installing and using an alternative protocol, such as IPX, and assigning file sharing to that instead of TCP/IP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos