help me wireless prob

HateGrowth 13:32 10 Jan 06

i have a bt wireless 1250 home adsl modem/router

i have a blueyonder cable service

i was wondering if i could bypass the modem in the combined router/modem thing and share the internet connection wirelessly

my cable modem connects to my pc via ethernet and so does my router.

on the network im wanting to create theres another winxp pro machine upstairs and a winxp home laptop

djwheeler 14:11 10 Jan 06

You need a Wireless cable router.

HateGrowth 14:30 10 Jan 06

i was told that i could disable the modem section and use it just as a wireless access point

djwheeler 13:03 11 Jan 06

You can share the broadband connection using a wireless access point but you will still need to cable modem connected to a PC.

mgmcc 14:10 11 Jan 06

<<< i was told that i could disable the modem section and use it just as a wireless access point >>>

Yes, in theory you can simply not connect the device to a phone line, disable its DHCP server and effectively use it as a combined "Wireless Access Point & Network Switch". However, it won't function as a *ROUTER* and, if connected via a LAN port to the Cable Modem, only one PC connected to it will have internet access, because Blueyonder only allocates the one IP address.

You could connect a "host" PC to the Cable Modem, enable Internet Connection Sharing and connect the "router" to a free network adpater in that PC. Connect the other PCs wirelessly to the "Wireless Access Point". If the "host" PC connects to the Cable Modem by ethernet, it will need to have a second network adapter installed.

It really would be very much better to get a proper Wireless "Cable/DSL Router".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…