Help me save a corrupt hard drive!

spirojunk 17:25 05 Aug 06

My hard drive has become corrupted. I can no longer get into windows being told by a blue screen that there is "Unmountable Boot Volume".

I am now using windows on a different hard drive. I tried to run CHKDSK on the corrupted drive, but it says that it cannot run because it doesn't work with hard drives with RAW file systems. I also cannot access the drive in windows, saying "This drive has not been formatted"

Does anyone know of a way I can save the data on this hard drive?

Thank you,

Jon

rawprawn 18:18 05 Aug 06

click here It depends how bably you need the files here is one but it's not cheap. Type "Recover deleted RAW data" into google and have a look.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:27 05 Aug 06

UNMOUNTABLE-BOOT-VOLUME
click here

spirojunk 19:18 05 Aug 06

I've already tried the advice given on that site. As previously mentioned CHKDSK wasn't able to scan a hard drive with a RAW file system.

As yet I can't get the demo version of that expensive software to find my drive either.

Any other ideas?

VoG II 19:20 05 Aug 06

Try this click here

ExTrEmEbLoWoUt 02:03 06 Aug 06

get an msdos bootdisk ! off the internet insert it into the affected computer ! when you get to the command prompt type in fdisk /mbr ! press enter this will wipe the current master boot record and create a nice clean 1 then you should be able to boot ! xx

UncleP 11:47 06 Aug 06

The symptoms you describe are usually an indication of a corrupted MBR. The message that the disk is not formatted (often followed by an invitation to re-format it) is misleading and dangerous - most of the information is still there in its original form if you can access it.

But you must assume that the failure occurred because the HD is packing up. If your main intention is to recover data, this means you may have only one or two shots before further degradation occurs. In particular, avoid recovery programs that write to the disk, they may write over sensitive informaton. The first step that a professional recovery firm would take is to make a sector-by-sector copy of the disk contents to a healthy HD before attempting any data recovery from that.

I have successfully used the software recommended by rawprawn in a similar situation but, as he says, it's not cheap and there may be alternatives out there.

Good luck!

spirojunk 14:27 06 Aug 06

As far as I'm aware the hard drive isn't packing up. I have been told elsewhere that the reason it probably got corrupted was that I changed motherboards without reinstalling windows. The drive is only 3 months old.

I have been able to salvage some of the files using that driverescue program reccommended by VoD, but it continually crashes and it is a tedious process.

Will that fdisk thing do the trick? Where can I get an msdos bootdisk from?

Terry Brown 14:30 06 Aug 06

I had a similar problem a while ago, and I got round it by creating an XP boot disk, using the following files:

BOOT.INI---NTLDR.COM--NTDETECT.COM

To access these files you will need to change your view options to show all system files & all hidden files.
Set your machine to boot from floppy.

Burn to a Floppy disk, and re-boot with the floppy ion place.This bypasses the XP boot system (but will still boot up XP) and should enable you to recover your files.
Terry

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:30 06 Aug 06
  ExTrEmEbLoWoUt 16:31 06 Aug 06

click here follow those instructions leave the floppy in the drive, reboot ! now it should load up to a black screen with just the a:\ prompt ! now change it so it looks like this a:\fdisk /mbr press enter ! it wont give any prompt that it has worked but now remove the floppy disk and restart ! this should have sorted it ! let me know how u get on cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…