Help me please, Develo highspeed starter Kit

ukpred 11:18 25 Dec 07

For christmas i bought my daughter a lap top just to get her off mine, she needs to get connected to the internet (Virgin Broadband)so i bought 2 Devolo Ethernet Highspeed Starter Kits so i can have my pc and her laptop connected to the internet, i have just found out that virgin broadband supply just one ip address so her computer does not detect the connection what do i need to do so she can get onto the internet still using the Devolo plugs.

I dont like wireless so thats out of the quistion.

ambra4 14:27 25 Dec 07

Most domestic cable ISPs have the cable modem configured to recognize only one client computer by the MAC address of its network interface.

Once the cable modem has learn the MAC address of the first computer that talks to it, it will not respond to another MAC address in any way.

Thus if you swap one PC for another PC, the new PC will not work with the cable modem, because the new PC has a different MAC address to the first PC.

“I don’t like wireless so that’s out of the question”

Seeing that you do not want wireless using a network switch would be the simple way to go

D-Link 5 Port 10/100 Unmanaged Ethernet Switch

click here

How to connect the switch to the Modem and Devolo Units

You need to power off the Cable Modem, Switch, and the Computer,

Connect the Cable modem to the Switch using an Ethernet cable to port 5 on the Switch

Connect a second Ethernet cable from port 1 on the switch to the LAN card on the main computer.

Plug in the first Devolo to the electrical outlet and connect an Ethernet cable to port 2 on the switch

Plug in the second Devolo to the electrical outlet in the room that require access and connect an Ethernet cable from the Devolo unit to the second computer

Wait 30 minutes

Power on the cable modem, and once it has rebooted and gone fully online again all indicator lights settled down,

Power on the switch and wait 1 minute

Power on both computer and wait until they are fully rebooted

You should now able to access the Internet on both computers

How to effectively set up file and printer shares if needed

Go to this site and take a read and follow the instructions

click here

Ashrich 22:40 25 Dec 07

Apart from what Ambra has said , the Devolo devices you have will still work without the switch , do as suggested and power down the cable modem , and connect the ethernet cable from it to the main Devolo device ,then the cable from the mains networking kit to your PC , wait for ten minutes then power up the modem and let it settle with all the lights on and try accessing the internet from your PC , if that works Ok , plug in the second Devolo to the mains , attach the ethernet cable from it to your daughters laptop and see if it finds the connection , if so , try for internet access .

Ashley

ukpred 00:54 26 Dec 07

Would a router work ok?

ambra4 12:23 27 Dec 07

Yes a router will work, but you will have to set up the router to allow you access to the Internet

Using the switch there is no set up just plug it in and you have access

If you want to go via a router look at a wireless one and just disable the wireless system for now.

If at any time you want to use wireless system just enable and set it up

Buying a straight router with out wireless would not make any sense better you purchase a switch?

click here

Take a read on how a switch an a router work

click here

click here

ukpred 20:10 28 Dec 07

So a switch can be connected strait to my broadband modem and then linked to the 2 pc, it works same as a router but better?

Plug and play?

sorry for the quistions but when it comes to this i am a complete noob.

ambra4 17:45 31 Dec 07

Yes straight plug and play no set up required

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…