Help me, Please!

bicyclecharley 01:41 11 Aug 06

I am fixin to get a new laptop, (my first) and I need to add some software but not sure which?
I want to journal, add photo's, up-load flicks on topo maps, stuff like that. Now in the latest PCWorld Mag, I saw the advertisment for Omnipage15, it seems like the one but at a buck fifty a Pop ($150.00) I'm not sure? Anyone know which I should get?
Thanks fer all input on this!

DieSse 01:46 11 Aug 06

I'm at a slight loss as to what OCR software has to do with your requirements - can you explain a bit more please.

Alternative very good OCR program is ABBYY click here

phono 01:53 11 Aug 06

Omnipage 15 is OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software, it is used to scan documents and convert the text to a format that you can then edit, it can supposedly handle tables and other formatting in documents but I am not sure about pictures. See click here

I am not entirely sure it is suitable for your needs, only you can decide that.

bicyclecharley 02:05 11 Aug 06

What I'm after is for writting, editing and also scanning, with photo's etc.
I want to get a software that's gonna help me with my ineptitude at authering my journey by bicycle across the US.
I have lots of legal crap that I can't really toss out, hence the scanner issue's. I have learned what I do know just by pushing the buttons to see what Happens. New to getting any software and it's sad to say, the terminoligy use in computers these days is truly Greek to this old commercial fisherman, ya unner-stan better?

DieSse 02:25 11 Aug 06

Scanners usually come with enough software to do the basic things I suspect you will need.

A laptop will almost certainly come with basic software for writing/editing and picture manipulation, too.

If you're going to publish the result on the web - then a simple to use web authoring package would be your best investment in software. I use Web-Easy click here

It's a simple drag and drop web site maker, which needs no html coding knowledge at all, and makes good looking sites.

There is also lots of excellent quality free software around which can save you 100s of $s.

For instance OpenOffice click here which would cover any writing, editing, spreadsheets, etc needs you might have.

phono 02:41 11 Aug 06

Excellent advice from DieSse.

bicyclecharley 03:26 11 Aug 06

I wanna thank you both for the assist. I feel behind the times a tad, but I can't help it with the techo-no babble they name all this new stuff!
Thanks again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video