help me find a career

JaneAtt 20:59 23 May 04

I want to train for a career in computing. Can anybody recommend a distance learning course please? Any other advice is very welcome. Thank you.

Old Shep 21:02 23 May 04

This any good click here

Djohn 21:21 23 May 04

click here Highly recommended, I'm doing one myself. They do courses from beginner through to advanced. j.

click here

BSc Computing, from an establishment you can trust.

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:17 24 May 04

Not wishing to be a misery guts but...click here and there are PLENTY more from where that came from. ;-))

G

€dstowe 08:38 24 May 04

Never forget there are oodles more people looking for jobs in computing than there are jobs available.

Recently, we have been having more than twenty peole a week asking about computer employment and computing isn't even our main business.

If you want to pursue this path, make sure you have somethiing else that will keep you going, employment wise, until the right opportunity comes up.

€d

recap 08:48 24 May 04

Consider volunteer work. I run two computer centres and take on volunteers from time to time. This is a good step on the ladder for employment, 1) it gives you hands on experience 2) it shows future employers that you are willing to help/work under your own initiative.

In my area our local University run courses from beginners upto advanced levels. All courses are awarded points, once you have gained the necessary point you can then enter University for either a HND/C or degree in computing. Check your University to see if they are doing something similar.

hoodlums 09:23 24 May 04

Be very careful of companies making promises of jobs at the end of a course. I fell for Computeach (and a bill for £5000) and so far the only opertinities they have given me are to spend more money on course updates.

Stuartli 09:59 24 May 04

Your local college or educational centre will provide a variety of courses - not just in computing - for very reasonable prices or, if unemployed, generally for free.

You should try to have a more definitive view of what you actually wish to do and base your course around that aim.

A casual approach will not work - as has already been pointed out there are many, many people after the same jobs when they become available.

JaneAtt 14:16 26 May 04

Thank you for all this - especially the bit about Computeach - I was considering going with them!

€dstowe 14:18 26 May 04

Whatever you decide, good luck!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…