Help Me Choose A New Router Please?

Big L 266 14:55 01 Dec 10

Hello.

My current router is a D-Link DSL2740R and will be celebrating its second birthday soon.It works hard for several hours every day but I believe now is the time for a replacement.

I am extremely lucky to enjoy broadband speeds upwards of 15.1 and enjoy my wifi radio.I've been reading various PCA articles about routers which have helped but personal recommendations are usually best.

My question is thus...if you were buying a brand new router, what would you be buying and why?

All suggestions and recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance for your kind help.

Big L 266

howard64 17:02 01 Dec 10

if it is working at that sort of speed I would be inclined to leave well alone. Many on this forum would be more than pleased to get that.

Fingees 17:06 01 Dec 10

I cant really help, except to say a lot depends on your Internet provider.

I, being on BT, use their own home hub, and have been using it 24/7 for about 4 years.

If you are happy with what you are using. Why change?
It should last for a few years yet, and is not really out of date.

It was just a thought.

All the best

duncan_pereira 17:14 01 Dec 10

I have a D-Link DSL2640r and it works perfectly. I believe that your current router supports speeds of up to 24mbps and has an in-built firewall.

It will probably last you much longer than you expect

northumbria61 17:16 01 Dec 10

I would agree with howard64 - why (mend) change it if it ain't broken. It seems the only reason you are wanting to change it is because it is two years old - I would spend your money on something else. That speed is very good - like Fingees I am also on BT HomeHub with a MAX of 8mb at the moment.

rawprawn 17:39 01 Dec 10

If it aint broke, don't fix it

Big L 266 19:34 01 Dec 10

Hello.

I can see your points about if it ain't broke don't fix it well. I'm going to keep my router and see if there's a firmware update instead.

Thank you for your input which is greatly appreciated and duly noted.

Big L 266

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…